OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Raspy & Old OR Young & Sweet??  (Read 14380 times)

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: Raspy & Old OR Young & Sweet??
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 08:19:27 PM »
I only use  one  Boxcall...and I've had a lot of success with it. It's has a high pichted sound no rasp to speak of. I've had more gobblers answer this call than all the others I've used combined. Couple years ago two hens walked up to my calling. One hen kept walking the second smaller hen stopped  and yelped a few times it sounded exactly like the Boxcall. I waited till she walked off and yelped a few times the little hen came right back and answered I messed with the little hen for about 45 min letting her walk off an call her back. Her  yelping  and cutting sounded just like the boxcall. So I guess the reason it works as well as it does ,it sounds like a young hen.
Each gobbler is different an not all will answer any one call so it's good to have an be proficient with more than one call. The first time I hunted Texas I was surprised when I never got a single response from the old Boxcall the whole hunt. The Rios really liked the slate and ceramic but not the Boxcall. Last year In Texas I used a trumpet an had a hen come straight from the roost an got so close it almost cost me a shot at a gobbler, she got to about 5 yards an non stop yelping looking for the hen she heard. I don't know what she thought the trumpet was friend or foe but she was sure interested. You just never know from one turkey till the next or even one day till the next which call will strike something in the individual bird.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 06:05:47 PM »
The 2018 season marked the 10th season that I've used the same mouth diaphragm calls. At the end of each season, I rinse them off and place them in a small plastic squeeze-type coin container inside a zippered plastic bag. A couple of weeks before the next season, I'll pry the latex reeds apart with toothpicks after soaking them in a solution of mouth wash and water. They have a very raspy sound and the gobblers respond to them. I also use friction calls to give the impression that there's more than one hen in my location and a gobble tube to challenge the peck order that an intruder tom would present. The combination often results in a bagged bird.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2019, 09:16:04 PM »
I prefer nasty and raspy. However there always seems to be one hen that the gobblers respond to more than others. I identify that hen if I can and I will use the call that sounds as close to her as I can. I also have so many calls that I change them out constantly throughout the season. It works awesome for me.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline BennieGobbler

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 09:49:32 AM »
Multiple calls with various amounts of rasp have worked well for me!  I like to sound like more than 1 turkey..
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 08:55:33 PM »
I like a sharp sound on the front with good volume and good bark on the rollover .. I don't care for that bark on the roll to sound like a big hound on the tree barking ... I always chance up my calls during the season , i don't care to run around all season sounding like the same hens...  Agree turkeys are turkeys and no 2 days are the same ...  cadence , patience's and time in the woods ... you also have to have turkeys to hunt ...

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 08:27:18 AM »
Like others have said it depends on the Gobbler. One might like to hear one call(sound) better than another. Just like one woman's voice might perk one guys ears up more than another.
When I first started hunting years ago I had only 3 calls. A pot call,a boxcall, and a little lynch jet slate. I had the most confidence in my calling with the pot call  so that's what I used on my brothers farm most of the season. Between missing,a few bad setups,etc it was towards the end of the season and was still trying to kill one. I was not getting any response toward the end of the season using my pot call so I got frustrated and pulled out my boxcall after trying to get one to respond with my pot call. I had 3 different Gobblers answer from 3 different directions and called one in. It was like turning a light switch on. Believe me I learned alot that day.

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
Like the others have said, the turkeys preference for sound can change day to day. I like to have several calls from high and clear to 3 packs of pall malls a day for 20 years. That way you are bound to have something that gobbler likes unless it's a day he won't responde to anything.

IaGobblergetter you are right about the woman voice. If I hear the pall mall I'm running. I prefer the higher, sweet voice preferably with a drawl. ;D

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 04:40:57 PM »
I figure turkeys are like most men, some normally prefer blondes, some brunettes, me, I prefer redheads but just the same every now and again there may be that occasional brunette that will come around and turn my head. We will not even discuss my fetish with Japanese woman.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 12:44:33 PM »
I figure turkeys are like most men, some normally prefer blondes, some brunettes, me, I prefer redheads but just the same every now and again there may be that occasional brunette that will come around and turn my head. We will not even discuss my fetish with Japanese woman.

:TooFunny:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Gen.27:3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2019, 03:35:10 PM »
As others have said, the answer is yes. However, if I have to choose, give me the raspy.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

Offline mudbug_4

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »
I like to go loud and raspy most of the time. If I have hunted a bird with no luck then I will switch over to the low and sweet sounds.

Offline Takeaim1st

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 03:33:54 PM »
No matter what cycle of the season I am hunting, I always set up with at least two different sounding calls, many times I have used three simultaneously.  Maybe it wasn't  necessary  but, it has been very effective.

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2019, 09:03:27 AM »
I think if you listen to real hens use either sound there is a edgy high pitch right at the beginning of most yelps raspy or clear. Guys are going to rely on what has worked in the past but you should be ready to change whether your calling to a hen or tom.

Offline Turkeyman62

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2019, 10:51:08 AM »
I prefer a slightly raspy caller.
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

Offline Longbeardfever4ever

• Limbhanger
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2019, 02:58:21 PM »
I'm finding on public land that it's something different that makes birds sound off. Tube call, wing one, etc.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24