OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Scouting report  (Read 3818 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Scouting report
« on: February 26, 2018, 10:25:52 AM »
With season opening here in MS and AL in 17 days, we should be in full scouting mode. Have you been out and what did you see? Are the gobblers still grouped up and have they started gobbling good yet?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
Re: Scouting report
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »
I've been out even though we don't start until April 16. April 7 for kids. I am sorry to report that there are no turkeys in northeast Missouri so everyone should just stay home????

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:04:32 PM »
Man I love hate to hear that. I just know that is completely fabricated exactly the situation.

Stay completely away from Come on down to Mississippi!

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 02:36:38 PM »
Up here in MN we are a long ways from doing any scouting yet. Birds are in their winter flocks and probably will be for another month or better. We got 8" of snow last Thursday night and another 5" Saturday night. The weather dudes are calling for a possibility of another 8"-13" of this blasted white stuff this coming Sunday and Monday. We have a good 16" to 18" of snow on the ground now. This is the most all winter.  I'll be living turkey hunting thru you guys for a while yet! :-\

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 03:19:27 PM »
This is one of the advantages of having team mates spread out north to south. You can hunt vicariously with us early in the spring and when our season ends we can then follow along with you for a few weeks afterwards. Our team season runs from the middle of March through the end of May.

:popcorn:

FC

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 05:49:03 PM »
Still about a month out before I start hitting the hills. Middle of April is the first hunt. Most of the forest roads are still closed. Greatly missing Florida though as normally I'm packing up and getting ready to fly down there by now.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 05:29:03 PM »
Been scouting some in AL and MS, as I hunt both. Not much gobbling but I have put out several time-lapse cameras around the fields I usually see them. I did drive up on a lone gobbler in the field last Friday morning. Hoping he sticks around till youth weekend in AL 3/10-3/11. I would love to get my grandson on that ol boy.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:38:47 PM »
It looks like the weather may be good fer gobblin' this weekend so I will be heading out early both days for the morning chorus.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 12:10:51 AM »
Still in winter flocks here.  Had 30+ cross the road behind my truck yesterday-all hens and last year's jakes.  11 longbeards in the next field over feeding back to roost.  Won't be long till they're back to spring behavior,  but I won't start scouting until mid/late March at the earliest.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »
Looking good so far

w

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »
Went out this morning and heard nary a one. Beautiful clear dawn but they just weren't cranked up. Did manage to get some ROWs and trails cleared of limbs and vines.

We will try again in the a.m.

FC

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 09:28:23 AM »
Well that's more like it. Slipped down to the slough this morning, sat down against a pine tree and waited for the choir. At 6:07 I heard the first tenor crank off the first gobble of the 2018 season. He was about 150 yards from me up the slough. Another choir boy opens up about 6:15 about 200 yards straight out from me on the other side of the slough. The two birds gobbled 4 times and I heard a hen yelping by the first one a little while later.

Ahhh, Spring.

FullChoke

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 04:54:06 PM »
This is what my place here in MN. looks like today. 28 degrees out, 40 mph winds with 4 to 6" snow. Schools and many buisness's shut down for the day do to blowing and drifting snow. Turkey scouting is still a ways out for me up here!