OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Central PA Gobbling 2018  (Read 7812 times)

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Central PA Gobbling 2018
« on: February 25, 2018, 10:11:29 AM »
Alright, men, we've been waiting all year and the time has finally come to record our encounters.

For those new, report your Date, Weather/Temperature, Time of Day and whatever other information you find pertinent!

I'll kick us off:

Wednesday February 21, close to 50 degrees around 7 I heard the first of the year, a single gobble in Eastern Blair County. They've been strutting off and on from some trail cam pics I've seen, weather depending.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Central PA Gobbling 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 07:39:39 PM »
Thanks for getting this rolling. I've been meaning to kick off a new year, but haven't seen or heard any yet. Should be starting up soon. Did have a flock of about 20-25 come through my yard sometime near end of Nov. 2017. Didn't get a good look as I saw them when I left the dog out. They were scratching under some pine trees.

Let the fun begin!
 :z-guntootsmiley:

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 08:48:54 AM »
OK, 1st morning out.
02/28/2018
35 Degrees, very still, clear, could hear a country mile.
6:05 - Took my cup of coffee and went out to the back deck
6:20 - The rooster down the road started.......no gobbles
6:35 - A couple of crows started - no gobbles
7:00 - Went back inside

Nothing yet.............................. :character0029:

Offline TalksToTurkeys

• Longbeard
  • Lycoming Co. Pa.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 12:32:24 PM »
Sunday March 11th 12:00. 35 degrees, partly sunny, light breeze. I've been walking this state forest road regularly for a few years. Been seeing and hearing birds all winter. I'm sitting here listening to them gobble now. Their getting pretty fired up. A few weeks ago I watched about a dozen Jake's fighting and long beards strutting from this spot.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 04:02:16 PM »
Sunday March 11th 12:00. 35 degrees, partly sunny, light breeze. I've been walking this state forest road regularly for a few years. Been seeing and hearing birds all winter. I'm sitting here listening to them gobble now. Their getting pretty fired up. A few weeks ago I watched about a dozen Jake's fighting and long beards strutting from this spot.

Nice. All has been quiet my way.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 10:03:32 PM »

Awesome to hear! Haven't been able to get out much at all with buying a new house and what not. It never seems like ya have so much stuff until ya go to pack it up. Will be out this weekend to get some listening in

Offline pa_hunter

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 07:55:31 AM »
3/18/18
First mornining out, 23 degrees, no wind. First spot heard two different birds. Next spot heard a group of 4-6 birds. Not a lot of gobbling but still great to hear the first ones of the year!

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 07:40:16 AM »
Went out this morning. My truck read 38 degrees and it was raining at 6:30 as I started walking to where I wanted to listen this morning. Didn't hear a peep. I will be trying to get out every Saturday Sunday from here on out.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 08:38:35 AM »
All has been quiet out my way the few times I've listened. Did see 3 jakes the other day.
 :gobble:

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »
Western PA Mercer County.  Snowing and 36 with a 15 mph west wind. Birds were where I knew they would be. Saw them fly down and do a lil strutting. No gobbling from 3 long beards.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 09:32:17 AM »
Usually by this time of the year, I've been out to my back deck to listen to the local birds.
Every morning I could have gone out is was, rain, wind, snow, freezing cold, or all the above.
The couple of "good" days were of course the ones I couldn't get out.
 :newmascot:

Offline potter

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »
Had 5 hens 2 jakes show up yesterday at house, called both jakes right to front door, first ones this year cant hunt at house. Im in lehigh county

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »
4-5
snowing blowing no gobbling ,,,seen few bouncing thur woods

4-6 ,,,no wind calm cloudy 32 degrees
lots hens talking right off roost .  no gobbling ,,, only thing i dont like is the amount of deer iam seeing they seem always mess up the turkey hunting LOL 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 07:10:54 AM »
Nothing this morning but I was only out for a few minutes had to go help stock fish. Cold and truck was covered in a layer of snow this morning.

I think next week is gonna really kick things off weather is starting to come around

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 09:40:29 AM »
4 - 8 they did their thing this morning 26 and calm light flurries

snow on ground it got light kind early today

gobbled for good 45 minutes this morning was still going at when left,, few crows  joined in at end realy got them going lol   could hear few in distance also record didnt pick up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2j57VchFIU
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey