Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Carlsons 20. gauge Remington .568 Winchester Longbeard shell choke

Started by knifeshark, February 24, 2018, 09:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knifeshark

Picked up one of these for my 870 the other day, haven't had time to pattern my gun with it yet.( It's been raining here like crazy). Just wondering if any body else has one of these , and how they perform. These are new, and just out, made to specifically shoot the Winchester long beard shells. These are sold out all over the place , and I was lucky enough to find one. Says on the package that you can also shoot hevishot too.  OPINIONS PLEASE? Thanks.

Buford

Knife shark: would you please let us know how your setup shoots. Like what length barrel and size shot you use and how far you shoot? I have 4 boxs of number 5 longbeards and 11-87 with a 21 inch barrel. The best I've got is 121 in a ten inch circle at 40 yards with a trulok .560 HW number 7 choke. Iam really interested the carlson longbeard choke but can't find anybody who has tried it. After the rain quits please let us know what it can do.   Many thanks, buford

knifeshark

I'm shooting an 870 wingmaster with a 21 inch Remington turkey barrel, rifle sights and a trigger job.  Still pouring rain here, but hopefully I can get out and see what this thing can do. I also have a .575 Carlson non ported choke that I want to shoot some Federal heavyweight 7 shot with both chokes and both shells. May the better load win! I'm gonna shoot some # 5 shot long beard with the .568.

petemoss83

Out of my 870 youth with long beard #5's and the Carlson long beard choke @ .568 i got (120-130)-10 @ 40yds. Same choke with hevi 13 #7 put up (130-140)-10 @40yds. I think it's a pretty good choke overall.  I also recently tested it with federals new heavyweight tss rounds and out of all my chokes it put up the highest numbers with that particular round.

knifeshark

Well , that sounds good to me! Hopefully my gun can do the same, I'm gonna pick up some Federal tss also . Thanks petemoss83, for the intel/input!

surehuntsalot

I have the longbeard choke tube, some LB 5's and some LB 6's
gonna get around to trying them
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

strutter

I put a Carlson's LB choke on sons Mossberg 20 and with LB shells got 98/10" with #5 and 100/10" with #6 at 30yd . I could tweak red dot some to get few more hits since pattern was high to POA.

nyhunter

strutter

Quote from: nyhunter on March 15, 2018, 05:49:43 AM
any updates on your patterning with the LB choke?
Shot today with clean barrel and sight adjustment.
Longbeard.568 choke and LB#6
133/10" @ 25yds. 116/10" @40 yds

knifeshark

Quote from: nyhunter on March 15, 2018, 05:49:43 AM
any updates on your patterning with the LB choke?
Finally got to pattern my gun this morning with the .568. It performed well with both long beard #5, and Federal heavyweight #7 at all ranges out to 45 yards. Also shot some Federal 3rd degree # 5,6,7 shot, and it shot well at 30 yards. So, in my gun , the Carlson's long beard choke is the best choice for my set up. I was unable to find any tss loads anywhere! I'm sure eventually they will turn up, but right now they are unobtainable where I live. I would really like to find some tss in .410, heard some great things about those! Again those shells in any gauge are sold out everywhere. Fortunately I was able to score 5 boxes of heavyweights, in #7 shot, and 2 boxes of long beard #5. Good luck to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED NECK

I would be more than happy if I could get the longbeards to pattern that well out to 40 yards.I may have to pick up the .568 Carlson next week to try out,I was just chatting about this the other day and was told that the .568 and .555 Carlson chokes were something I should try out.I can get a above average pattern to 30 yards with long beard #5's from the .575 non ported.This pattern would give me the confidence in a 40 yard gun, if needed....I am very impressed with the longbeards in general but these pictures make it seem even sweeter.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

ads1

Shot the Remington 1187 20 gauge with the Carlson Longbeard XR choke and Winchester Longbeard #6's today. Well pleased. This is a 40 yard combination!
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois