turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scouting

Started by wade, February 24, 2018, 05:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wade

I'm headed out in a few minutes to try to hear some gobbling. It's a little early but it's been warm and the weather is beautiful. Report to come.
Do it outdoors

wade

I heard 3 gobbles and saw some birds in a field. Mixed flock of hens, jakes and longbeards.
Do it outdoors

wislnwings

I wanted to do the same this morning but its my daughter's birthday so I stayed home instead.  This weather has got me itching to get out there.

Tony Hawkins

I saw one strutting last week on a rainy day. Our season doesn't start for 4 more weeks, but with all the talk about other states getting started I figure I can pass the time getting out there and listening. Gonna wake up early and see what I can hear tomorrow.

shaman

While I'm all for scouting, I've learned that, in my circumstance at least, scouting often leads to unnecessary heartache.

You've got to remember, that for 6 weeks prior to the start of season, I'm trying to get out at every weekend to not only scout, but to record the birds for my podcasts.  Season opens up mid-April around here.  I've seen years where there is nary a gobble before the first of April.  Other times they can start up in late February.

It's a real bummer to drive 60-some miles, turn on the the water and electricity at camp, get all suited up and walk out in the dark and hear absolutely nothing.  However, after putting up with it for going on two decades, I have gotten used to it.  Nowadays, I'm more likely to sit on the porch and drink my coffee and wait for the first gobble before going out.

What I've found is that the turkeys usually hie out and leave the ridge I own in the latter part of the winter.  It probably has something to do with the acorn crop, and how much is left over as winter is ending.  I'll go out and find the woods completely empty of turkeys, but lots of fresh scratchings as though they scoured the oak groves before they broke camp.  When they return, they seem to be more interested in clover out in the fields.  Some years I kill gobs with acorns in their craw, some years it is clover.   Some years I get to see the big flocks on my ridge. Most years, the big flock breaks up before they come back.

I've had my neighbors squawk about how the turkeys must have had a die-off over the winter, because they're all gone.  However, I've learned to have a bit of Faith in the matter.  They come back. It just takes time.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Tony Hawkins

Yeh, I didn't hear anything gobbling this morning. It was nice though; took my .223 in case I happened upon a coyote. Sat by a big old oak tree in the middle of a field and drank coffee. Didn't realize a couple hours had passed.
Probably should have went fishing, but it was nice to just sit there and enjoy the peace and quiet.

jims

Scouting can likely be somewhat frustrating if birds tend to migrate to or from the area.  If you have resident flocks that spend the entire year where you hunt scouting can assure you that birds remain in your area or help you find new locations.  Scouting is a great for getting in shape, getting the cobwebs off gear, and figuring out new access or strategies that may work out.  It's always exciting hearing the first gobbles of the spring and viewing the first strutting toms!

shaman

Turkeys
Quote from: jims on March 18, 2018, 09:40:07 PM
Scouting can likely be somewhat frustrating if birds tend to migrate to or from the area.  If you have resident flocks that spend the entire year where you hunt scouting can assure you that birds remain in your area or help you find new locations.  Scouting is a great for getting in shape, getting the cobwebs off gear, and figuring out new access or strategies that may work out.  It's always exciting hearing the first gobbles of the spring and viewing the first strutting toms!

Turkeys can be perverse.

In my neighborhood, my best guess at the factors are:

1) The amount of acorns leftover from last fall
2) The amount of tillage that is going on around me.  If the ground is dry enough for guys to get in and turn over the soil, I think the turkeys migrate over there and load up on worms and seeds
3) If it's really cold, it holds up the clover from growing.

One trick I've learned is to take the back roads where I'm going.  Even though I'm hunting the same 200 acres every year,  lot of my pre-season scouting ends up being done on the ride in, the ride out and the various trips I have to make to town and elsewhere.

For instance, last year, on my way to turkey camp for The Opener, I saw a gobbler out in a pasture strutting for a flock of feeding hens.  There had been nary a turkey spotted or heard all spring by any of us leading up to The Opener, but seeing this flock out there convinced me that things were going to be good.  When I got to camp, there was a gobbler and hens out in my back yard. Sure enough, I had a ticket filled before The Opener was 15 minutes old.   

If I'm out running an errand, and spy turkeys I can be fairly sure that the turkeys on my place are doing something similar.  If I see a loan strutter out in a field, there's a strong chance one of my gobs is doing the same thing. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

wade

The weather has been so crappy that I haven't been since I started this thread. I don't like getting up early just hear some gobbles and not hearing any. Still 3 weeks before opening day.
Do it outdoors