OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Season Preparations  (Read 14617 times)

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Season Preparations
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:29:05 AM »
Time to get serious and start getting everything together for the season.  Hope to break down and clean my 500 this evening.  Going to scrub my 11-87 barrel as well. Hope to check POA on my 500 and see what the 11-87 will do on paper.  Going to the farm Saturday to do some listening, put out a camera on a pitch point, and shoot the guns.  Need to spray down my clothes for ticks.  Already got the vest together so should be good there.  Going to reload a box of shells here real soon as well.  Hopefully all this makes the wait a little better.  We are having some abnormally warm weather, supposed to be 80 this afternoon, and yesterday and this morning felt like turkey killing mornings.  It will be here soon!

26 days to go!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: Season Preparations
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:13:25 AM »
Mid 80's here. Going to try and load a few this weekend as well. Everything else is good order, just waiting on March.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 02:13:36 PM »
Wow that’s warm. Good luck, I haven’t done anything except run calls. Looking for birds and they’ve yet to appear. This weekend small game shuts down and the birds get the woods to themselves. They’ll show up.
Gonna check some new spots this year. It’ll all happen soon

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 02:58:04 PM »
It was in the 70's here in NY 2 days ago and now we are under a winter weather advisory and the snow is coming down a a pretty fair clip.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
Bought my 1st license of the year, this my least favorite part of turkey hunting. Out of State licenses and biting bugs. My MS license is good thru youth season, but expires before the opening. Will buy as late as possible. SC is the only one I need early because of the tags not being available online. Last year they didn't send them to me and a couple days before I was to leave I called and was informed they were never mailed for one reason or another. We then had to mail them to Donald's in-laws house (in SC) and luckily they arrived the same day I did.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:43:00 PM »
I hate to say this but, I just haven’t got too inspired for turkey hunting this year. Don’t worry, I’ll do my part and line up some birds. I’m just stuck on my elk hunt in September. It will take me until then to be in good enough shape to hike those mountains and possibly pack out a bull. I haven’t even went through my turkey hunting gear but season isn’t until April so I’ve got some time. I did put this together today, my bino harness and rangefinder pouch for this fall. I’m kind of excited about it, never had a good set of binos when I have been out there.  This year I’ll have some Vortex Diamondback 10x42.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 07:12:05 PM »
Have you elk hunted before?

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 07:27:38 PM »
I wanted to apologize as I was very politely informed I am not supposed to be posting in the team areas, I did not realize I was doing anything wrong, still new here and was just replying to new posts since my last visit that came up. I will try not to do it again. Best of luck to everyone this season.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 07:33:47 PM »
I’ve been a few times. Never killed one but my buddy killed a good bull in CO. It took us 13 hours to pack him out, that’s why I need to be in good shape.

I only bowhunt them, I want to call one in close and hear him scream. I had one very close in ID a few years ago and it was too thick. I’m not putting turkey huntind down at all, I love it but a bull screaming up close is a rush.

I had a visit with Will Primos back in the early 90s and he told me once I experienced it I would be hooked. He was right, just wished I would have started when I was younger. I can walk our hills all day but those mountains are tough!

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »
I bet it is a rush! It's good to have a goal in mind for fitness. A few years ago I decided to get into shape. It's turned in to a lifestyle for me now. The only problem is something is always hurt, but overall I feel a lot better. Things that use to be a challenge are now easy and energy levels are much improved.

Steven, what county you from? I know a few guys from Shannon County.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 09:54:50 PM »
I wanted to apologize as I was very politely informed I am not supposed to be posting in the team areas, I did not realize I was doing anything wrong, still new here and was just replying to new posts since my last visit that came up. I will try not to do it again. Best of luck to everyone this season.

Good luck to you sir, nothing to apologize for. I did the same thing a few times as well. It's all for fun.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 07:09:46 AM »
Bought my 1st license of the year, this my least favorite part of turkey hunting. Out of State licenses and biting bugs. My MS license is good thru youth season, but expires before the opening. Will buy as late as possible. SC is the only one I need early because of the tags not being available online. Last year they didn't send them to me and a couple days before I was to leave I called and was informed they were never mailed for one reason or another. We then had to mail them to Donald's in-laws house (in SC) and luckily they arrived the same day I did.

I think you will get your money's worth on the license.  We shall see.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 07:11:09 AM »
500 broke down and cleaned out.  Had lots of dirt in it.  11-87 barrel cleaned as well.  Hope to shoot in the morning.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 07:35:19 AM »
Hate to say it. Being sick last year screwed me up some. I can get around but I’ve gotta overcome and I will. My sickness made my right side face not work. My locators often need back pressure to work properly. It’s hard when the right side won’t seal. I’ve taken my hootin stick and pushed it to to side like some cigar. I normally use a tongue flutter like a duck call but can’t do it. I’ve learned the gargle method and it sounds real good. I’m actually happy w it. My crow I actually pinch off my loose lip, that’s working.
Next prob is my eye. It was sewed shut. It’s still not right. Very cloudy. I’ve been mounting a gun each day w my left eye as it has become dominant. I’m sure it’ll work. Also put a red dot on my turkey slayer as an option. I like this one. I hated the Burris.
Pretty soon gotta sight that in. My dog club has a hunt tomo and I gotta be there after that it’s finding turkey that’s the priority.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 08:43:04 AM »
Bowguy, hope you recover quick, that's has got to take a tremendous amount of strength, will power and faith to overcome and keep the attitude you've got.