turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot Calls Moving//Settling

Started by Grouperdawg, February 22, 2018, 09:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouperdawg

I've got several calls to make out of leopard wood for a customer.  I turned the first one yesterday and not long after I turned it,  the wood had moved/settled.   The ledge for the playing surface was no longer level and had also shrunk a little.  This is not the first time this has happened to me with an exotic type wood.  Has this haooened to anyone else?  Anyway to stop this from happening?

M,Yingling

if it pretty straight grained wood i would say its wet or over heating while sanding 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

southern_leo

I agree with Mike. I always turn my pots then let them sit at least 24hrs before doing anything else to them in case they warp. Most don't but sometime you get a wild one. Slow down your lathe when sanding

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rick Howard

Grouperdawg

Thanks for the help guys,  I never thought about the sanding.  My lathe isn't variable and I used to drop the belt when I sanded and Ive been skipping that lately.  I wonder if that is what's contributing,  I'm going to start roughing it and letting it sit too.  Thx  :you_rock:

Daddy rat

Matt McClain had video on that few weeks ago ... look on his Facebook

ridgerunner

Get a moisture meter, I'd bet the wood is too wet. I've never had an issue with warping except when moisture was too high ( twice in 12 years) . Let them dry out first. I like moisture anywhere from 9-11%.

Grouperdawg

Ok thx, I'll pick a moisture meter up,  looks like some reasonable ones on Amazon with good reviews

I tried to find the FB video but I couldn't find it