North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Good custom pot calls for beginners??

Started by Goblue4016, February 21, 2018, 08:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goblue4016

Hey All,

This will be my 3rd year turkey hunting and still waiting for that first gobbler, I haven't taken it very serious until this year.

Wondering what are some custom easier ones to use out in the woods, any advantage to use glass over slate etc., as I can use a slate but glass was a lot harder for me when playing it in a store. Also I turkey hunt in Missouri so it's usually very dewy in the morning and also rained for at least a day the last two years and I couldn't use my slate. So any suggestions there as well?

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

6shot

Well I'm certainly not a pro and I'm pretty new to turkey hunting myself but I would recommend an Enticer Call's Wet One glass call . It runs so easy that even I can use it . The first gobbler I called in myself was with a Wet One and yes it was raining that morning and me and the call were both wet . It plays wet or dry . Look up Enticer Calls . He is a super nice guy to talk to and deal with also . I now own two of his calls and love them both .

JLH

Look up....John Sinclair custom calls .com

He has a slate and striker that work wet or dry.....even a pouring rain won't stop it.

He has them ready to go, will be in your mailbox in 4 days usually.

Tennessee Lead

Mike Yingling has a waterproof call in the classifieds now complete with sound file. Sounds very good and Mike builds a super fine call that are easy to run.
I would take a listen at it.
If I hadn't spent my call money this weekend it would be headed to TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

compton30

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on February 21, 2018, 10:23:08 PM
Mike Yingling has a waterproof call in the classifieds now complete with sound file. Sounds very good and Mike builds a super fine call that are easy to run.
I would take a listen at it.
If I hadn't spent my call money this weekend it would be headed to TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

End of discussion.

Goblue4016

Thanks guys for the info I'll take a look for it

Chris O

Mike Yingling makes a great waterproof pot I have 3 crystal over glass calls in my house. Your slate could work in the rain if you use a carbon striker. If it's a wood pot and it gets soaked it could cause you problems depending on the calls finish but if it's plastic you won't have any problem

Bowguy

Not many calls are gonna run wet. Couple do. The right strikers help. You said custom calls not custom pots. The answer is yea obviously some calls are better than others. For the weather if you want something impervious use a mouth call. You can use different calls say a long or short box inside a bread bag and they run fine. I've never actually tried a bag on pots. Seems like too much work.
The box though is an easy option and sounds just as good either in the bag or outside one on dry days. I prob wouldn't bring mine in a down pour. Mouth calls have advantages.
Pots I'd just learn to keep em and the strikers dry. Most get a drop on em they're useless.
You said you ran glass in a store. Was it even conditioned? Conditioned right?
You can do as guys say and use a wet type call but if that was it I believe you'd handicap yourself

Bowguy

Ah sorry you did say custom pots. The info is the same though. Boxes can be a consideration

M,Yingling

Quote from: Goblue4016 on February 21, 2018, 08:51:25 PM
Hey All,

This will be my 3rd year turkey hunting and still waiting for that first gobbler, I haven't taken it very serious until this year.

Wondering what are some custom easier ones to use out in the woods, any advantage to use glass over slate etc., as I can use a slate but glass was a lot harder for me when playing it in a store. Also I turkey hunt in Missouri so it's usually very dewy in the morning and also rained for at least a day the last two years and I couldn't use my slate. So any suggestions there as well?

if u can run a slate i would suggest a crystal to me just seems easyer to run then glass ,, if going to go with something that runs in wet conditions i would try go with something in a man made material some thing thats water resistant  theirs lots makers out their that turn pot from corian ( counter tops material ) to acrylic and sure the striker matters also right striker is going to run that slate in dewy mornings  and sure u can run a wood pot in rain but its surely  to absorb some moisture,, then dry out drying summer months and run risk of wood warping  surface cracking ,,, other options me i run pots or tube call ,,,,always got mouth calls but some of us just not good with them ,,, as for box calls i dont even take one if its going to rain i would say their the most likely suck up moisture plus most box calls are not cheap lol ,,,,,  and you asked if any advantage over slate well its always nice to have a little of every thing u never know what a bird is going to responed to on any given day

Good Luck on your first Bird
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

jims

I bought a couple pot calls but the only calls I use any more are diaphragms.  It's nice having both hands free.  I used YouTube videos to learn how to use them.  It took time but well worth it!  Diaphragms run around $10 to $15 and fit inside a small pocket!

Damson

If you're using an actual slate pot call, you can take a lighter and briefly run it on the slate.  It should take some of the moisture out.  I've also read something about using some stuff called rain chalk on your striker. 

captpete

I use pots 95% of the time(not an expert, but have almost 20yrs. experience). When I first started I could run a slate pretty decent, but had troubles with glass calls. Practice was big for me...get good on a slate and it will transfer over to glass & crystal. Also, I finally figured how to condition a glass call. Now, glass & crystal are just as easy if not easier to run than slate. Don't over look condition the stiker tips also(some people will say I'm crazy for that). Most of the time if I have call that doesn't want to work, a couple of swipes a  Scotch-Brite pad on the tip of the striker and the call is working again. To me, a well conditioned call and striker will work pretty decent in damp/wet conditions.
In my opinion, when it's raining, the birds aren't really talking anyway. I can usually make a call work well enough to get out a few yelps and clucks in those situations. I don't take my good calls, I have a couple of rainy-weather calls I take...in-expensive, off the shelf/mass produced calls. When I can't get them to work, I resort to a mouth call.