News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wood grain question for pot calls

Started by CtRider, February 21, 2018, 05:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtRider

Hi all

I'm interested in turning a few calls for myself and some buddies. One thing I've noticed is that for pot calls. The grain always goes across the call.

Is there a structural reason for not using the grain in a round pattern - like a cross section of a tree or branch?

Thanks

ol bob

The call would be very weak, and finishing end grain is a pain in the butt.

MickT

It would also be very prone to checking and splitting as the wood dried and absorbed moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: CtRider on February 21, 2018, 05:35:59 AM

The grain always goes across the call.

Could you show me what you mean by this? I have a piece of slate from a call that broke and was thinking of trying to make one with the help of a friend but have pretty much only used store bought calls and have never really seen a real hand made wood call. I was thinking of getting some cherry wood or some mahogany to do it in.  Also how deep would I want to go and how many holes should I drill in bottom and what dimension? Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

CtRider

Just look at any wooden pot call, the grain runs across the call instead of in a circle like growth rings.

For a basic tutorial just look on YouTube.

Sir-diealot

Okay, that made me understand it, I have bad ADD/ADHD so I can be a bit dense at times, sorry.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

southern_leo

Quote from: CtRider on February 21, 2018, 05:35:59 AM
Hi all

I'm interested in turning a few calls for myself and some buddies. One thing I've noticed is that for pot calls. The grain always goes across the call.

Is there a structural reason for not using the grain in a round pattern - like a cross section of a tree or branch?

Thanks
End grain would be weaker and wouldn't be as visually appealing either. I have heard it alters the sound but honestly I've never tried it to test it. Most people enjoy the wood grain so obviously you want to be able to see it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

southern_leo

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 21, 2018, 06:57:38 PM
Okay, that made me understand it, I have bad ADD/ADHD so I can be a bit dense at times, sorry.
There are tutorials on YouTube and THO game call forum that will get you started. The sound holes themselves vary alot from maker to maker. How many holes and the size really only impacts how loud your call is. You want a good balance. As far as hole depth, just make sure it's drilled deep enough to go through the floor of your call. I drill mine before I turn it. If you drill afterwards it's no problem but you may get some tear out from the bit.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: southern_leo on February 21, 2018, 11:30:01 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 21, 2018, 06:57:38 PM
There are tutorials on YouTube and THO game call forum that will get you started. The sound holes themselves vary alot from maker to maker. How many holes and the size really only impacts how loud your call is. You want a good balance. As far as hole depth, just make sure it's drilled deep enough to go through the floor of your call. I drill mine before I turn it. If you drill afterwards it's no problem but you may get some tear out from the bit.

Okay Thank you very much, I will check some of them out.

John Koenig:

Rick Howard

End grain is a pain in the butt to turn.  I've done calls in cross cut Osage.  That was bad enough lol.