OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3” turkey shells

Started by BobWalters, February 20, 2018, 07:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Quote from: shaman on March 25, 2018, 05:55:29 AM
However, in '16, I misjudged one in a field and managed to bag him at 80 yards. It's a long story.  I'd expected him at 20 yards.   It would not be anything I'd recommend, but the load did knock one over at that distance.
Is this a joke?  Are you saying you shot him at 80 and thought he was 40??????  Not possible. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

yungbuck

good insights on this thread thanks for all the contributors!  Old Gobbler is a go to place for learning and i have appreciated it!

ElkTurkMan

My favorite 3" shell are the Hevi 13 2oz #6's. I have taken a lot birds with these shells and don't plan switching g to anything else.

Alavoie52

depends on the gun and choke you plan on using. But in my opinion you cant go wrong with the Winchester Long beard XR. seems to always pattern well with any gun/choke combination I've seen it put through. I've only personally fired it with my Remington 870, but I was very pleased with the results out to 40 Yards. If you find you don't like those I've also had good patterns with the Remington Nitro-Turkey loads. As far as the 3rd Degree, I haven't tried any yet, but once my wallet wont yell at me for it ill give it a try.

Here turkey turkey turkey

I like Winchester double x #5 shot. I like to let the turkeys get pretty close though.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Mossberg90MN

Bowguy

Guys I get asked this type question a lot being a hunter Ed instructor. Let me see if I can put it in perspective a little. Don mentioned trying some shells and letting them decide for you , good advice but being your new it seems you at least want some direction.
To me that leaves a few shells out at least at first. TSS is expensive and honestly unnecessary. Any lead load can and will do the trick at normal turkey hunt distances.
Depending on the choke you have a variety of choices. Let's assume you have normal turkey chokes. Longbeards are another load that imo is not good. It's too unforgiving for a newer hunter. If you're an old hand at hunting/shooting than it'd be a consideration. Just realize at close, normal turkey ranges you could somewhat easily miss.
In the past for prob 30 plus years I'd used Winchester supremes. You can't get em but federal grand slam is copper plated lead just like the supremes and a good affordable price. Remington premiers have been a good one too in my past testing (not Remington nitros, they stink). Stay away from hornady too. Another option would be hevi shot. It throws good patterns, is pricier than lead but not so much as TSS.
All things to consider.
Now realize especially with certain really tight loads you're may need/prob need a sight. The poi will change. Don't sweat that. All normal. First get your pattern the way you want. Than adjust

Twowithone

Winchester LB 6 shot my Winnie 1300 loves em the Gobblers dont mind em either. ;D
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Brwndg

Another vote for the Winchester Long Beard. I like the 6s
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

1iagobblergetter

The original post was from 2 years ago. I would hope he has it figured out by now...??

captfire

it's not what you like it's what your gun likes. I shoot Winchester long beard #6 3 inch with the long beard choke out of a Mossberg 835. i'am putting 229 pellets in a 10 inch at 40 yards. it puts the Winchester smak down on them gobblers..

LaLongbeard

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 13, 2020, 05:11:17 PM
The original post was from 2 years ago. I would hope he has it figured out by now...??
Lol or gave up
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

strum

Quote from: BobWalters on February 20, 2018, 07:11:05 PM
Looking for some recommendations on some 3" turkey shells to go out and buy and start patterning with to see what the gun likes best. Anyone have any recommendations on your favorite 3" shells and what shot size is best to go with? Looked at my local store and there are tons of turkey shells. Hate to buy one of every box just to see what goes best, looking for recommendations on 2-4 to start with to see what'll pattern best. Something that would be usable with a full choke.

I do hear a lot about the federal premium 3rd degree.

I highlighted the best part. Lol I was that guy ..100 boxes of shells ago :funnyturkey:

Sir-diealot

I like the 12 gauge Longbears XR's in #6 shot myself. I have never liked #5 shot from any make, they never seem to pattern to my liking.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

hotspur

I just bought a box of 25  3 inch lead fiocchi high velocity , good out to 40 yds . paid $ 13