OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Howdy From The Finger Lakes Area Of New York  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Howdy From The Finger Lakes Area Of New York
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:33:40 PM »
Howdy I have been hunting since about 91 though I did not grow up with it. I was in a car accident in 2001 I tried to hunt in 2002 and had 3 come into me all brushing their feathers against the blind I was in or on the backpack I had behind the blind. I had one of them stop perfectly for me maybe 15 yards away, because of the accident I was in so much pain I was not even able to get the front of the gun up to shoot the bird. I tried so hard to get the front of the gun up and he stood so long for me but I could not do it, that sunk me into a very deep depression for a long time I tried to deer hunt about 7 years after that and sat in the stand for about 4 hours and got out and that made me have to stay at home laying in bed for four days due to pain.

Well fast forward to 2015 my Dr. and I finally found a medication combination that works to control my pain for the most part and I went turkey hunting that spring and I took this picture. I did not get anything but I was and still am grateful that I can get into the woods again and hunt. I still have never gotten a turkey but I thank God that I am now able to get out there again and hunt. Maybe by the grace of God I will be able to get one this year.

I enjoy using diaphragm calls though I can have some problems with some sounds due to the fact that I have an under-bite. I have found that Primos calls work best for me when it comes to diaphragms because of how thin they are.

I use a couple different friction calls, A Madd Super Crystal I think it is called, a standard slate call and a Quaker Boy Triplex I think it is called. I loaned out my box call and never got it back during the time I was unable to hunt so I am going to have to get one of those this year. Any suggestions?

I did not get to turkey hunt last year due to shoulder surgery but am looking forward to hunting this May though I had surgery on the other shoulder 2 weeks ago so I will be using some form of bi-pod to hold up the front of the gun this year but by golly I will be out there!

Because of my accidents I hunt from a ground blind because I move around a lot, I use it for deer season as well. I use a Barronett Pentagon Blind as well as an Ameristep chair blind and an Ameristep Doghouse blind I think it is.

I don't know if I will ever hunt from a tree stand again for anything, the thought of falling and getting hurt bad again for the third time in my life scares me, I am 48 now and don't heal as well as I did when I was young.

So what does everybody wear in a blind with a blackened interior? I wear camo til I get to the blind then change into all black.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:54:13 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Howdy From The Finger Lakes Area Of New York
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 09:41:09 PM »
 :welcomeOG: :welcomeOG:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 10:03:30 PM »
:welcomeOG: :welcomeOG:
Thanks
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 09:55:58 AM »
Welcome to O.G.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »
Welcome to O.G.
Thanks, have been here quite some time now but it is always nice to be greeted again.

John Koenig: