OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Body Bags  (Read 3059 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Body Bags
« on: February 17, 2018, 08:57:24 AM »
I like to hunt turkeys better than deer. One of the many reasons is that when, not if, you drop hammer on the biggest, baddest Gobfather that ever gripped a limb, walk up to his still kicking remains and hoist him from the earth, you strain a bit, but you can still do it with one hand. Oh, he heavy aight, but you ain't flirting with cardiac arrest hauling him out like you can with a Swamp goat. Many times the trip back to the truck involves miles and Vito Corleone can get downright persistent in his attempt to return to the ground from whence he cometh. You know what I'm talking about...gravity. That's where an exit strategy comes in handy.

What methods or devices do you, or your youngens, use to transfer Capofamiglia from Field to Ford?

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Body Bags
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 12:29:23 PM »
Norman I have always just put mine in the game pouch of my vest, way easier than trying to carry him out!

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:31:19 PM »
Now days, my grandson if he's with! ;D  Most of the time I will put him my vest. Sometimes will throw him over my shoulder when on private land and the hike back to the truck isn't to long.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 05:15:24 PM »
I've got one of those orange bags with backpack straps. It folds up small and works great. If I don't bring that along, I just throw Gobblersaurus over my shoulder and tote him out. I've seriously been considering one of the strap totes, they are nice, especially the leather ones. But, then again, that's just one more thing to carry. As the season wears on, I carry less and less stuff. :lol:

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 03:33:47 PM »
Depends on how deep off in the woods I am. More times than not ill throw them over my shoulder and carry them out the way I was taught. If it’s gonna be a long walk up and down hills I’ll put him in my vest pack. 

I had a turkey tote that I bought last year and I think it was cursed. I had my worst season to date and literally the morning I took it out of my bag my season turned around.  I gave it away and a buddy of mine is making me another one. We’ll see.

To me it’s just something about throwing one over your shoulder after you’ve won the battle.

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 09:21:14 AM »
Throw them over my shoulder and walk out.  Although, I have been eyeing those turkey totes.  I'm all about working smarter and not harder.   :you_rock:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 09:37:59 AM »
Put one of those plastic bags, that your news paper comes in on rainy days, over the turkeys head. I have an orange stretch nylon that rolls over the body. Keeps the wings and feathers neat, no blood with the plastic over the head and neck. Use a gerbber turkey tote and loop it around the feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 09:59:01 AM »
I love my tote that I got off here made by Captain Hooks, makes the walk out that much more enjoyable.  I also carry a small plastic bag and rubber bands to cover his head to keep the blood contained.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk