OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ground blind or no

Started by BobWalters, February 17, 2018, 12:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

If anybody wants to use an artificial blind to hunt turkeys, more power to them,...go for it.
...But here is my personal perspective: 
Choosing a set-up on a gobbler by using the natural terrain and cover is part of the game for me.  Sometimes that is nothing more than sitting down with my back against a tree, and sometimes the decision on how and where to set up is more involved than that,...depends entirely on the circumstances and my judgement as to what I should do. 

If a gobbler somehow busts me and gets away, or comes in and I have chosen the wrong set-up and can't shoot him, that is just part of the game.  I just didn't make the right choices. It's kind of like calling,...make the right moves and you win,...make the wrong one and he wins. 

Again,...not making judgements about anybody else's attitudes about blinds.  Do what ya'wanna do.  The point I am making is that there seems to be a relatively new attitude about turkey hunting that having some sort of artificial blind is a necessity.  It is not.    :icon_thumright:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 22, 2018, 08:49:15 AM
If anybody wants to use an artificial blind to hunt turkeys, more power to them,...go for it.
...But here is my personal perspective: 
Choosing a set-up on a gobbler by using the natural terrain and cover is part of the game for me.  Sometimes that is nothing more than sitting down with my back against a tree, and sometimes the decision on how and where to set up is more involved than that,...depends entirely on the circumstances and my judgement as to what I should do. 

If a gobbler somehow busts me and gets away, or comes in and I have chosen the wrong set-up and can't shoot him, that is just part of the game.  I just didn't make the right choices. It's kind of like calling,...make the right moves and you win,...make the wrong one and he wins. 

Again,...not making judgements about anybody else's attitudes about blinds.  Do what ya'wanna do.  The point I am making is that there seems to be a relatively new attitude about turkey hunting that having some sort of artificial blind is a necessity.  It is not.    :icon_thumright:
Not for many people no, for me there is no choice, due to pain from a car accident I simply can't sit still. You throw that in with ADD/ADHD which makes it very difficult to sit still and has my entire life and it is a matter of necessity. I did like it more when I did not use them though, it was harder because I have never in my life been able to sit still but now with the pain I just can't control it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

EZ

To the OP, if you're new to turkey hunting don't worry about blinds or decoys. Get a vest with a seat and go chase turkeys and learn how to hunt them. Once you learn HOW to hunt them, then you'll know when the right situations are for blinds, decoys, etc....

3bailey3

i like you cut some limbs and stack in front off me if time allows this is a blind i built the other day that i killed a bird from this morning.

3bailey3

i am standing where the bird is, looked back and after seeing all the grey i think the green stuff i built did help hide me