OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Favorite call  (Read 3381 times)

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Favorite call
« on: February 15, 2018, 12:00:31 PM »
What's caller do you use the most? Me, it's probably the CC smoker diaphragm, followed by a Hook's Executioner. I use a Lights Out slate a good bit when using a pot. The only box I've carried since I've bought it is my Troy Wix, it's showing signs of wear, but will be in the vest again this year.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Favorite call
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:00:41 PM »
The call I usually grab first from my vest is my David Loftis Crystal Screamer using a Fowler Snakewood striker.  This call has been very good to me since I started using it a few years ago.  She has a nasty high pitch nasal sound and the birds just seem to eat it up.  The mouth call that I use is an XT Havoc.  A friend of mine turned me on to them about 7-8 years ago and they have been my go to ever since.  I do not take very good care of them and they usually last a couple years and I have had good luck with birds using them.  My Lancaster Jatoba/Holly is probably my preferred box.  I have a few boxes that I really like but that is almost always in one of the two box call pockets on my vest. I did pick up a Preacherman Snakewood/Butternut that I am looking forward to using this season as well.  Those two will be the boxes that start off in my vest. I got a Kenny Pedelahore Cocobolo trumpet this off season from my wife that I am very excited to use.  It will be the one that starts around my neck this season, I carry three in my vest.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Online Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »
The last two seasons my go to has been a trumpet. First a Permar Delrin . 45 then a KP Striped Ebony. This season I plan on a KP cured Osage. After that it's a Gooserbat Bacon diaphragm followed by a Halloran Twisted Sister pot call with Maccasar Ebony striker also by Halloran.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »
An aluminum pot of some sort. Lately it’s Schafer’s and they’ve  been real good to me. For mouth calls I normally use one from Hooks it seems

Offline BABS9

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 05:19:19 PM »
My favorite all time call is my Crystal Mistress. Favorite mouth call is Hooks executioner 2. Those see the  most time. My new Halloran zebrawood slate will see a lot of time as well as a Strawser red deuce. And a Marlin Watkins Bubinga/Applewood that’s probably the most pure sounding turkey call I’ve ever heard.

Online Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »
I want to add I bought a glass over glass in a zebrawood pot from Glen Marrer last year that will see a lot of use. It has good rasp and a thump at the end of the yelp I really like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 08:51:04 PM »
I don’t think I’ve ever really had a favorite call. For the most part I’ve always used a mouth call. Last year I used Hooks. Prior to Hooks, Woodhaven was my choice and prior to Woodhaven Primos True Double. I bought an aluminum pot from Mr. Schafer that sounds as good as anything I’ve ever owned. I plan on putting that to use some this spring. I have a few boxes from Albert Paul that sound good and are some awesome looking calls. Those just sit on a shelf, they look too nice for me to take to the woods.