turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Easy to use Friction calls?

Started by billinsd, April 17, 2011, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billinsd

What are some realistic sounding friction calls that are easy to use without a lot of practice?  By easy I also mean forgiving, or less likely to make a bad note.

And what surfaces could I touch with my finger and it still would not sound bad?

I'm looking for more of a goof proof friction call. 

I got a Primos Box Cutter that sounds good and is very, very easy and forgiving to use.

I'm looking for something similar in a friction call.

Thanks
Bill

M,Yingling

Iwould say slate over glass ,,, or a plain aluminum over slate 2 very easy calls to run
,,, as far as touching the playing surface you could to a point,, but not recomended

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

cfrye11

to me touching the playing surface is not a big deal, I almost always have finger marks on the edges. just don't run the striker over it. they will dry. if the call is aluminum you can clean it with an alcohol swab.  I would suggest anodized aluminum, this way there is no need to condition the surface just keep it clean. glass/crystal is going to be the hardest to keep sounding consistent. slate is fairly easy to condition but can also be demanding to maintain.

Best bet buy a call from a call maker from this site and they will give you all the tip you need to have no issues.

billinsd

Thanks all.  What call makers on this site make slate over glass and aluminum over slate?  Which of these is better for a louder, long range call, general use and softer, bring 'em into gun range call?

So, I am looking to get at least two, maybe three friction calls. 

I'm not very coordinated, and not musically inclined either.  I like my Primos Box cutter, because it is EASY to use and consistant.  All, I gotta do is keep chalk on it. 

Anyone else feel free to chime in.  Call makers feel free to chime in also.   
Thanks
Bill

West Augusta

You should be able to run any quality friction call loud or soft equally well.  My suggestion?  Buy a couple of calls, maybe a good slate, an aluminum, and a glass call and practice.  They are all fairly easy to run.  Good luck.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

billinsd

Thanks, this all came up, because I lost my aluminum call I've had for about 15 years, Knight and Hale I think?.  I also have a smaller one, can't remember who made it off hand.   

You know even when I practiced with that Knight and Hale it was never really easy for me, for some reason.  Maybe calls are better than they were 15 years ago and are the $60-$100 custom calls easier to use or sound better, or both?
Thanks
Bill

West Augusta

Lonnie Sneed sells a very easy to run slate or glass call for $20.00 each.  They may not be finished quite as well but sound as good as the best out there.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

billinsd

Thanks, I just ordered a slate and an aluminum call from Lonnie.  Bill

West Augusta

Hope you got the Hot Hen.  It will be in my vest monday morning along with his Green Glass and possibly the Kee Kee pot.

billinsd

I ordered a hot hen and a terminator.  Can't wait to try them.  Lonnie sounds like a great guy.  Thanks again!!  Bill

West Augusta

He didn't say anything about a Terminator.  Post some pix when you get it.  I ordered a set of 5.  I thought that was all he made.  Lonnie is good people and a heck of a turkey hunter.

billinsd

The Terminator is aluminum.  If you have an aluminum call, that's it.  Bill

West Augusta

The Aluminum pot that I have is the Kee Kee pot.  It does sound good as a regular call though.  I polished half and conditioned the other half.  Now I have two calls in one but am still learning to get the Kee kee right.

gob4me

Does Lonnie have a web-site to order from?

West Augusta