OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Oklahoma Rio Grande Advice/Tips  (Read 2955 times)

Offline smalls

Oklahoma Rio Grande Advice/Tips
« on: February 14, 2018, 09:29:44 AM »
I will be in Oklahoma during the first week of their turkey season for training, so another co-worker and I thought we would make the most of it and do some rio hunting while we are there.  I'm not looking for any hotspots or anything like that, because we already have some places nearby, that, due to time constraints, are our only real options.

Having never hunted rios before, I'm just looking for some general tips on how they differ from easterns.  What to look for on the landscape, any particular "quirks" that are important to know when hunting Rios, and just general tips from the pros to help out.

We are doing this strictly DIY public, and will only have afternoons to hunt for the most part, so anything that might help our chances is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Offline hootgobbleyelpgobble

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Oklahoma Rio Grande Advice/Tips
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »
What I have seen in the western part of the state is...find trees and water and you will find birds. The first week seems to be the most traffic on public lands. Every spot to set a camper, tent or truck, there will almost be one parked there the entire week. Heard plenty of birds every trip and also plenty of pressure by other hunters. The birds seemed to be able to be worked all day long. My group may have killed 1 or 2 birds right off the roost but the large majority were mid day to early afternoon. Those dang Rios can see you from 2 miles away it seems like.

What I have noticed in 2 trips to Oklahoma is the amount of road hunting is ridiculously. OOS trucks creeping slowly up and down every dirt road bordering public land.  I actually had a bird shot at from the road, noticed I didn't say killed, from a public dirt road I was hunting close to. My truck was on the edge of the road and the guys gave it zero notice or respect.

Be mindful of the end of hunting hours time. The public land we hunted on, hunting hours ended well before sunset.

Offline ARjtk

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:21:21 PM »
From my experience hunting Rios, afternoons are just as good as morning if not better. They travel a lot further during the day than easterns. I swear they hit the ground running. Cottonwoods and water. Call a lot and call loud. Wind blows hard nearly everyday. Box call or aluminum pot will be best for locating birds. Have fun

Jake

Offline smalls

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 06:10:51 AM »
From my experience hunting Rios, afternoons are just as good as morning if not better. They travel a lot further during the day than easterns. I swear they hit the ground running. Cottonwoods and water. Call a lot and call loud. Wind blows hard nearly everyday. Box call or aluminum pot will be best for locating birds. Have fun

Jake
From what I've read, eastern/central Oklahoma is a bit more wooded.  The area we are looking at hunting has some prairie, but it has a lot of forest land as well.  It is mostly described as being a post oak-blackjack forest.

Would that change anything?  Would Rios be more likely to be in the more open country than in the woodland?

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »

Would that change anything?  Would Rios be more likely to be in the more open country than in the woodland?

They will use both.  I cut my teeth hunting Easterns.  Rios are much easier to kill in my opinion.  You can over call an Eastern.  You can't over call a Rio.  If he's answering, keep hammering him.  Where as an Eastern, if he answered I won't pick up a call until he answers me again and hasn't seemed to move.  Rios also travel much more during the day.  I'd try to use my 1st day or 2 to determine where they are roosting then headed during the day.  Unless they are hot, you aren't going to turn one from going towards where they want to go.  You need to be in between where they are and where they are headed to call one in.  Also, if you are walking around trying to strike one in the afternoon and have one answer you, you had better find a spot and sit down.  9 out of 10 times they are coming and coming quick if they answer a box call in the afternoon.

Good luck.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 11:55:59 PM »
What parts of OK have Rio's? I have family in Kingfisher County and Grady County, Oklahoma. Did not know they had Rio's out there.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline smalls

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 01:58:44 PM »
What parts of OK have Rio's? I have family in Kingfisher County and Grady County, Oklahoma. Did not know they had Rio's out there.
Just about everything from Central Oklahoma west does according to the OK wildlife department.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 05:31:15 PM »
Instead of going during CHRISTmas next year I think I may just go during turkey season!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Txag12

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 08:39:46 PM »
Depends what general area of Oklahoma you’ll be in. I’ve hunted all over the state and the habitat varies greatly which makes the birds and best methods vary just as much. It also depends what piece of public it is, some are a waste of time, others can be hit or miss or okay and some good if you put in the time. Tons of pressure.

Offline smalls

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 02:24:10 PM »
Depends what general area of Oklahoma you’ll be in. I’ve hunted all over the state and the habitat varies greatly which makes the birds and best methods vary just as much. It also depends what piece of public it is, some are a waste of time, others can be hit or miss or okay and some good if you put in the time. Tons of pressure.
South Central.  Most likely will be hunting either Chickasaw, Hickory Creek, Lexington, or Love Creek.  Closest to where I will be is Chickasaw.