OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ultra light chair?  (Read 8452 times)

Offline whiskey

Ultra light chair?
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:01:29 PM »
I dropped my vest and moved to a turkey purse and a gobbler lounger last year.  I’m happy with the set up, but I’d like a lighter weight chair. Does anyone know of a chair similar to the gobbler lounger that has an aluminum frame?

I have an A-lite backpacking chair that weighs 1 pound, but it’s too slow to set up, shiny and noisy, so looking for better options.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: Ultra light chair?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:24:34 PM »
I wish they would make a carbon fiber Turkey chair

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:39:00 PM »
I use the Turkey Thugs gobbler chair, and it's a very lightweight lounger. In comparison to the Cabelas brand it feels lighter for sure. I'm a big ol' boy too, so it's not lighter because it lacks in quality. I bought mine for $10 at Walmart on clearance and it's held up for two turkey seasons, and some waterfowl hunts depending our game plan. Now that I think of it, I should've bought 5-6.

I still don't run and gun with it, as my vest, like most, has a cushion. But my morning set up usually has my lounger and a decoy or two left behind when and if I do go running and gunning.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 01:31:39 AM »
I have an old seat I bought from the NWTF Turkey Shoppe called a lo boy lite turkey seat, all aluminum frame. Been hunting off of this for 20+ years. I did modify mine a bit to add a backrest to it. H.S. made something similar but with hinged legs, lo boy's are fixed. I used the H.S. version to make my backrest.

MK M GOBL

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 01:01:36 PM »
I've been taking camo boat cushions and leaving them around the property in likely spots for years. When I go a certain way, I pick up the cushion and then drop it off on the way out.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline whiskey

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 05:54:57 PM »
Cabelas and a few other places sell these seats 2 pounds so there quite a bit lighter than the full back chairs ( I use a tree for a back rest).
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Damson

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 02:36:16 AM »
+1 on the Turkey Thug Chair.  Super comfortable and light.  The only complaint I have on it is the carry strap on it isn't long enough to throw over my shoulder. 

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 09:51:01 PM »
I was thinking of trying a beach chair, just spray it with some camo paint.

Offline CntrlPA

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 11:04:43 AM »
These have always intrigued me but i'm not sure how well they would work.

http://www.crazycreek.com/backpacking-hiking-camp-chairs/

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 07:23:03 PM »

I have two camo seats like the ones in the above link. They are comfortable and provide back support. I mainly use them Deer hunting but they would work well for Turkey. I use a turkey lounger from Wally world with my own stap Turkey hunting.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 10:57:42 AM »

Somebody told me they had good luck putting one of those on a stool like the one phillipshunt posted above. I leaned back and kept going back until I was on the floor. I guess I musta done something wrong, but one try was enough.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 09:19:29 PM »
Somebody told me they had good luck putting one of those on a stool like the one phillipshunt posted above. I leaned back and kept going back until I was on the floor. I guess I musta done something wrong, but one try was enough.
Good thing you were not near a cliff...

I think those look like they could work, but I would put them right on the ground...

I also think  Dtrkyman is on to something with the cheap beach chair and a can of paint...  It would likely need to be replaced fairly often, but I see those chairs at garage sales for a couple of bucks sometimes...  They are certainly lighter than any of the commercial turkey chairs I have seen...

I think the only drawback would be the noise (from trying to open it, and the cursing when it does not open).....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline ilbucksndux

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 03:27:16 PM »
I have 2 of the Turkey Thugs chairs that I picked up on sale for $10 and I think it works great. Most of the time I leave it in the truck because Im always on the move and dont carry anything extra if I dont have to,but those days when they are quiet and I know Im going to be going to a spot and sitting most of the time I take it. I put a gun sling on it to lengthen the carry strap. 
Gary Bartlow

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »

Love mine, I have the primos vest that's has this type of seat built so I don't use the crazy creek for turkey but deer and glassing elk/deer out west it's awesome

Won't get you up off the ground but I like this style way more then a standard cushion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>