OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Broadhead for youth hunter?  (Read 7630 times)

Offline fenderhunt4

Broadhead for youth hunter?
« on: February 13, 2018, 05:18:41 PM »
My 11 year old shot his first deer with his compound bow and now wants to go after turkeys. I'm a little unsure about what broadhead to use and which shot placement (head or body) to promote with him. I'd love to hear from others with experience with youth bow hunters for turkey as well. 

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Re: Broadhead for youth hunter?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:11:26 PM »
Use your deer set-up. It will kill a turkey. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Premier Turkey Calls

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:14:18 PM »
For a youth I would recommend using a large broadhead like the Magnus Bullhead or the Gobbler Guillotine for a head shot. The advantage is that you can see your target. No need to study your diagrams on where to shoot the body. Head shots are either hit or miss. If you miss you either hit the surround air or you hit the body and the broadhead will not penetrate and wound the turkey. With body shots if you miss in any direction at all, you have yourself a wounded turkey. Lace up your hiking boots and hope you find him. Why wouldn't you do a head shot? 1. You have a visual. 2. Very little chance of a wounded bird. 3. Large diameter broadhead means more room for error. 4. With a well tuned bow and good arrow selection, it is very accurate. 5. 0% meat loss with head shots. The only advantage to body shots is that you don't have to change your deer hunting setup.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:02:30 PM by Premier Turkey Calls »

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:22:44 PM »
I almost forgot to mention that if you hit a bird in the head, he's down for the count. Even if you hit the bird in the vitals he can still get away. Also there is a lifetime warranty for any damage on Gobbler Guillotines and Magnus Bullheads.

Offline CtRider

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:06:52 PM »
I’m a huge fan of Magnus bullheads.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »
Listen to fallhunt he has it exactly right. Change nothing and aim for biggest vital area, that’s not the head. Gotta make things doable w kids

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 09:40:06 PM »
In my opinion making things doable for kids is giving them a clear visual of their target. A body shot is so easy to botch and wound the bird. Turkey's were meant to be shot in the head. I would take 10 missed head shots over 1 missed body shot. A small percentage of body shots will drop the bird on the spot. Nearly 100% of head shots will kill him instantly. There is a whole list advantages to head shots and the only advantage of body shots is that you don't have to buy a new broadhead. If I wanted to build my kids confidence I'd say aim for the head. Not, "aim for where these feathers meet these feather but when he's turned this way and in strut you aim there but not when he's turned away." Then when he misses it "he's going to live another day, we'll get the next one." And not, "Let's spend a few hours searching through the brush where we think he flew but we lost the blood trail." When a young one is staring at that gobbler a few feet away, he's not going to remember his anatomy diagrams. Aim for the one vital that is always in sight. Get your headchopper flying straight and your good to go.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:19:03 PM by Premier Turkey Calls »

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 07:43:43 AM »
For a youth I would recommend using a large broadhead like the Magnus Bullhead or the Gobbler Guillotine for a head shot. The advantage is that you can see your target. No need to study your diagrams on where to shoot the body. Head shots are either hit or miss. If you miss you either hit the surround air or you hit the body and the broadhead will not penetrate and wound the turkey. With body shots if you miss in any direction at all, you have yourself a wounded turkey. Lace up your hiking boots and hope you find him. Why wouldn't you do a head shot? 1. You have a visual. 2. Very little chance of a wounded bird. 3. Large diameter broadhead means more room for error. 4. With a well tuned bow and good arrow selection, it is very accurate. 5. 0% meat loss with head shots. The only advantage to body shots is that you don't have to change your deer hunting setup.
Out of personal interest how well do these style of broadheads pass through the shoot through netting on a blind? Thank you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline CAPTJJ

• Rod Bender Charters
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 07:53:17 AM »
I would recommend a 3 blade head with long blades, like a Snuffer, for a youth hunter.  Then learn the aiming points, not that hard to figure out where to aim(fallhnt's pics are good). Large mechs and head-loppers require more energy and a youth may not have enough, turkeys are tough. I decided against using either with my 45# recurve after doing some tests and research.

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 05:29:52 PM »
Sir-diealot I am unsure of how they shoot through mesh as I have never done it. I would guess for it to be not as well as smaller broadheads due to the large wingspan but I would assume that it would maintain accuracy for close range shots. If I were you I'd contact Magnus (or Gobbler Guillotine, I haven't used it but it's comparable to the Bullhead) and they could give you an answer. They usually respond within a day with an answer. Head choppers do not take insane poundage. I believe Magnus recommends 45lbs min (i'd have to check to verify). This won't necessarily cut the head clean off but it will either leave a large gash or break the neck.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:44:41 PM by Premier Turkey Calls »

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 07:53:42 PM »
Sir-diealot I am unsure of how they shoot through mesh as I have never done it. I would guess for it to be not as well as smaller broadheads due to the large wingspan but I would assume that it would maintain accuracy for close range shots. If I were you I'd contact Magnus (or Gobbler Guillotine, I haven't used it but it's comparable to the Bullhead) and they could give you an answer. They usually respond within a day with an answer. Head choppers do not take insane poundage. I believe Magnus recommends 45lbs min (i'd have to check to verify). This won't necessarily cut the head clean off but it will either leave a large gash or break the neck.
Okay, thank you for the reply.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 09:34:55 PM »
In my opinion making things doable for kids is giving them a clear visual of their target. A body shot is so easy to botch and wound the bird. Turkey's were meant to be shot in the head. Yes the vitals are a bit larger than the head but I would take 10 missed head shots over 1 missed body shot. A small percentage of body shots will drop the bird on the spot. Nearly 100% of head shots will kill him instantly. There is a whole list advantages to head shots and the only advantage of body shots is that you don't have to buy a new broadhead. If I wanted to build my kids confidence I'd say aim for the head. Not, "aim for where these feathers meet these feather but when he's turned this way and in strut you aim there but not when he's turned away." Then when he misses it "he's going to live another day, we'll get the next one." And not, "Let's spend a few hours searching through the brush where we think he flew but we lost the blood trail." When a young one is staring at that gobbler a few feet away, he's not going to remember his anatomy diagrams. Aim for the one vital that is always in sight. Get your headchopper flying straight and your good to go.
Aim for the largest vitals is bowhunting 101. We get one chance to hook someone. Ten missed head shots and he’s back playing video games. How many kids have you actually taught?? Doesn’t sound too many. I’m sorry, head shots for a child are bad advice.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 09:40:15 PM »
I would recommend a 3 blade head with long blades, like a Snuffer, for a youth hunter.  Then learn the aiming points, not that hard to figure out where to aim(fallhnt's pics are good). Large mechs and head-loppers require more energy and a youth may not have enough, turkeys are tough. I decided against using either with my 45# recurve after doing some tests and research.
Capt, Snuffer isn’t made anymore. I use em but the company that was producing them too is out.
There are other similar companies if that was the persons choice. Wensel woodsman or VPA come to mind. Kustom King has one too. Just forget name

Offline BBD

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 09:50:28 PM »
Take a look at the Simmon's Mako Shark

https://www.simmonssharks.com/broadheads-screw-on/sb-100r-mako-100-grain

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 11:18:26 PM »
I have no problem if you choose a body shot but I personally see no advantage. What I meant by I would rather miss 10 head shots vs 1 body is that I would rather have a clean miss than to miss the vitals on a body shot and wound it. It sounds like hitting the bird in the body is more important than killing it cleanly. If you miss in any direction on a body shot, it's a wounded bird. A few years ago I took a forced shot on a deer. When I approached the deer thinking that it was dead, it jumped up and the guts were hanging from where I had shot it. I felt terrible for my lack of judgement that caused the deer to suffer. I would never wish for anyone to see an animal suffer, especially a young hunter. After that experience, I vowed that I would always take only guaranteed shots. If you watch any movie on youtube, you will see that body shots are not a guaranteed kill. A head shot will kill the bird instantly. I do not know the square inches of the vitals on a turkey but I have heard that inch for inch, the head and neck of a turkey offers more killing area than that of a body shot. I don't know why you wouldn't recommend head shots for kids? You can see the outline of your target!!! If you like your body shots, that is fine but I personally would go for the guaranteed kill. Ethical kills are what we as hunters should strive to achieve. I would hope for someone to educate me on why you choose body shots. All that I've ever heard is that you don't have to change your setup.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:31:30 PM by Premier Turkey Calls »