OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

.005 latex

Started by Jimmyc, February 12, 2018, 06:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmyc

Has anyone made calls from .005 or even .006 latex?  Wondering what kind of results one gets from these since I have not used anything thicker than .004. Thanks

Lonehowl

I have,  tried it a few times ...to heavy for me. I have 005 and 006 natural  and some 006 grey. Just no fun to run.
Mark

Gooserbat

.005 is okay for top reeds if someone pushes a call hard or is just a heavy air caller.  Personally .0035 or .004 for me.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

I agree with these opinions.  From my experience, most mouth call users would be wise to stick to the thinner latex materials (.004 and below) to get their best sounds.  However, if there are some folks on here that have found combinations of heavier material that work well, I would love to hear about the call construction they use to achieve a better sounding call with heavier latex materials.

Jimmyc

Thanks for all the suggestions. You've been a great source of help!!

savduck

I make one with .005 latex. Its one of my top sellers
Georgia Boy

Turkz39

Try this one:  1 reed .005,,  2 reed yellow .003,, 3 reed  proph,,  stretch it to 160,   I will post a pic of the cut I use.

GobbleNut

Interesting call design and cut pattern there Turkz.  Thanks for sharing the info,...I will give that a try and see how it works.  That's the nice thing about making your own calls,...pretty easy and cheap to experiment with different ideas.

Jimmyc

Thanks Turkz for sharing.  Thanks to all who respond!!
Looking forward to trying these!