OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sharing turkey hunting with kids  (Read 3985 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Sharing turkey hunting with kids
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »
Some of the most rewarding times that I have spent in the spring turkey woods have been those showing a kid the thrill and mental challenges of hunting gobblers. They catch on real quickly to what gets you excited so much about chasing these birds. I have mentored a number of beginners through the years and love hearing stories from their times spent in the woods.

Do you have a youngster that you have taken under your wing to instill in them the timeless values of woodmanship, fair chase and ethical sportsmanship?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
Re: Sharing turkey hunting with kids
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 03:53:01 PM »
MY Grandson.  Started taking him out with me when he was 6. Let him start shooting his own birds when he was 9. He is now 13 and has 4 longbeards to his credit. Not only does he go turkey hunting with me, but he loves to duck hunt, deer hunt and fish, both open water and ice. I know that ice fishing is probably foreign to you southern boys! ;)  He is not big into computer games or his cell phone as of now.

Offline buckmark13

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 05:18:55 PM »
While I don't have a memory yet, I'm hoping to make one with my Son this spring. He's 13 and saying he wants to go this year, so I'm hoping we can make it out together and start the tradition.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 05:50:49 PM »
I started taking my grandson a few years ago. He is out of town at a highly accelerated school for his Junior and Senior years of high school, so I don't get to hunt with him like I used to. I need to find another apprentice, for the benefit of both of us.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 06:08:51 PM »
I've got 2 boys ages 11 and 8 that love to go. Taking the youngest to Nashville this year and the oldest is going to Kansas for the youth season. Then home to MO for youth season then the regular season.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 07:13:39 PM »
My stepson, Logan.  His introduction to hunting was well, milk toast at best. Basically, "Here's a rifle, shoot it a couple of times to make sure you can hit the broad side of a barn and go hunting".  He needed direction and training and more important, mentoring.  My first year in the woods with him was interesting to say the least.  After spending as much time teaching him as possible in the months prior to rifle deer season, he clearly had old bad habits that were learned from his grandfather that weren't going to go away with just a few months of my tutelage.   I actually threatened to wrap his Remmy 760 around a tree that first day if he slung one more bullet at a deer.  He took some work but he suddenly started absorbing what I was trying to teach him.  Safety, marksmanship,  woodscraft, ethics and how to settle down, take it all in and handle your nerves and that it was fine to be excited-it was GREAT to be excited, but to not let his nerves get the best of him. He took his first gobbler with me, his first buck and his first goose.  He's a great shot now and scored expert at Army boot camp this past December and while he's always loved the outdoors, I'd like to think I helped instill an appreciation to it that he didn't learn before he first walked the woods with me.  I am supremely proud of this young man.  He has a true sense of right and wrong and good ethics and he's just a blast to hunt with.  He makes me want to get out more and that want I hate to say started to wane a bit.  He's hoping to get home after his AIT in Arizona where he's training for military intelligence analysis  this May to do some hometown recruiting and to suprize his mother. I hope I get to take him turkey hunting just once and put another big gobbler in his lap.  If not, I know we'll have a heck of a time either way.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
I know that Cramerhunts and 3Seasons take their daughters hunting with them and judging from their reports, those ladies can flat bring the noyze to the gobblers.

Is there anyone else?

Cheers  ;D

FC

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 10:40:24 AM »
I love seeing videos of youngsters hoisting their turkeys over their shoulders (sometimes with some help) and proudly making their way back to the truck. I know that a full grown gobbler can be quite a load for a kid to carry.

How do your young students of the turkey arts get their priceless feathered cargo out of the woods?

FC

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »
Mine are still too young to go, but I enjoying watching kids kill there 1st one.  I was there when 3seasons little girl scored on her 1st OK Rio.  There's nothing like watching a kid kill a bird.  Got a really good hunting buddy that moved to Alabama a few years ago.  He's bringing his boy to OK this year to hopefully kill his 1st.  Wish us luck!

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 01:54:14 PM »
My best hunts are far and away with my daughter. I have enjoyed watching her grow into a full blown head hunter. She not only can keep it together better than me she respects the animals we chase and enjoys all of God's Creations. I am blessed and thankful. She has completed her Royal Slam as well as taken Elk, Mule Deer, and Coues Deer. Nothing better than hunting with kids and even more so when they are your own. Below are a few pictures from some of the hunts.

Her first Turkey hunt.

Her Gould's

Her Coues

Her Elk

Her best Mule Deer

Completion of her Royal.

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 05:52:59 PM »
My best hunts are far and away with my daughter. I have enjoyed watching her grow into a full blown head hunter. She not only can keep it together better than me she respects the animals we chase and enjoys all of God's Creations. I am blessed and thankful. She has completed her Royal Slam as well as taken Elk, Mule Deer, and Coues Deer. Nothing better than hunting with kids and even more so when they are your own. Below are a few pictures from some of the hunts.

Her first Turkey hunt.

Her Gould's

Her Coues

Her Elk

Her best Mule Deer

Completion of her Royal.

Very cool and good on you dad!   :happy0064: :happy0064:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!