OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: what do you call a good bird  (Read 5775 times)

BottomLand54

what do you call a good bird
« on: February 11, 2018, 01:18:51 PM »
what is a good bird to you?

spur length?

beard length?

weight?

its funny because sometimes a long beard may be a younger bird with shorter spurs and weigh less, sometimes he may have a short beard weight more and have longer spurs.

kinda like a big buck with small feet lol.

whats the size of the biggest bird you have killed?

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: what do you call a good bird
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 02:44:55 PM »
Any bird you harvest is a good bird. Personally I do not harvest Jakes preferring to battle them when they are older and smarter (hopefully). I like a med to lg bird because I love to eat turkey. I also like one with a 10 inch beard or longer. Don't care about spur length.

Currently looking to finish my slam next month so I will look for a larger bird because I want another full mount. Otherwise a good bird is in the eye of the hunter. The contest is between me and the bird and sometimes I don't even pull the trigger.

Probably not the answers your looking for but I do not follow the main stream.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline MickT

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 03:13:15 PM »
Simple. Full fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline backforty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 05:12:19 PM »
Any mature bird that made me work for him.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »
Anything I squeeze the trigger on is a good bird. If I enjoyed it, and I always do, it’s a good bird. I’ve slacked off on the jakes in recent years but mainly because I’ve gotten more time to hunt and have gotten better places to do so. Having said that, if you only gimme one day to hunt, I’ll shoot whatever is legal and crosses my path.

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »
To me a good bird is a Gobbler that made me work for him and I get to harvest in the end that to me is a good bird. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 06:38:55 PM »
I enjoy them all as well. Like everything in life, memories and satisfaction is directly related to the amount of effort or time you put into something. But if I'm looking at measurements. I am excited about any bird that scores 70+. I like sharp spurs more than long beards, I like a really full beard that's 10 inches over one that's 12.  Heavy is always better....more jalepeno cheddarwurst!!!!!

Offline Laloom83

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 07:11:44 PM »
Any wild turkey I’ve harvested, ground with 10% pork fat, and made a Southwest turkey burger out of!  All joking aside I look at spur length over 1” as an old great bird. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ericbrooks

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 07:26:37 PM »
Any dead mature bird is a “good bird” to me.

Offline Hunter1979

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 08:34:43 PM »
I always used to think beard, but our lingering winters and wet springs have caused quite a bit of beard rot in our turkeys.  I called a turkey in for a buddy a few years ago that had just about one inch Spurs, but only like 7-8" of beard, and when we pulled on the beard to measure, more fell off.
I'm just trying to take my first turkey with a bow.  I won't shoot a Jake, but I probably won't be too choosey when the time comes.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 02:05:26 PM »
This is my third season. At this point, any legal bird will be a trophy to me.

BottomLand54

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 02:26:59 PM »
Guys I guess I am too hard on my self.

After kills my my first Tom with 10.5 inch beard and 1 1/8 inch spurs I have kept trying to kill a bigger one and wouldn’t pull the trigger unless it was. Last year 12 inch 1 3/4 inch spurs 24 lbs. I only shot one birds and passed up probaly 15 2.5 year old 10 inch bearded birds because I was after 2 different Toms that was bigger then the first. Guys think I’m crazy when I call in a 2.5 year old and let him walk. I guess I am just half crazy.

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 02:36:37 PM »

After kills my my first Tom with 10.5 inch beard and 1 1/8 inch spurs I have kept trying to kill a bigger one and wouldn’t pull the trigger unless it was. Last year 12 inch 1 3/4 inch spurs 24 lbs. I only shot one birds and passed up probaly 15 2.5 year old 10 inch bearded birds because I was after 2 different Toms that was bigger then the first. Guys think I’m crazy when I call in a 2.5 year old and let him walk. I guess I am just half crazy.

Good thing it's not a team sport then...

Offline Double B

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 03:38:29 PM »
If he's a gobbler that came in to my calling, put on a good show and then gets packed out in the vest, that's what I call a good bird. 
Followed by buzzards

BottomLand54

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 03:56:12 PM »

Good thing it's not a team sport then...

So what your saying John, is that you would be a shell short.