OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who will be making smoke

Started by ssettle, April 17, 2011, 11:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssettle

I've killed my share of birds with modern shotguns but I still haven't taken one with black powder. I have an old Dixie gun works 10 gage double that I put together several years ago. I've hunted with it in the spring a couple times but was never very comfortable with the limited range it has. It has an improved and open choke which at the moment doesn't give me any good pattern past 25 yards. I have experimented with different load combinations and even went so far as to load it a little to heavy which I don't recommend . ...Kicks the holy crap out of you...... I guess I should be happy with that being what is is.
I now have a TVM 20 gage flintlock i finished building a couple years ago that isn't so hard on my shoulder. I had the barrel jug choke and it shoot fine pass 30 yards but I'm still working on a good load for 40 yards. Right now I get about 10 pellets in the head at that distance but that is still out of my comfort zone.
   Any of you guys have a load combination that you feel works well in a old style black powder gun? I know some folks are getting good patterns with inline guns but most of those have modern screw in chokes.  :help:

Mag10

Only at paper this spring,  maybe next spring with the TK2000 for turkeys.

Glad to see we have our own page now.

njdevilsb

I need to work on my load some more in my Optima Pro 12 gauge.  I'm going to hunt with my 535 to start this year, and if I get a bird with that, then I'll take the smoke pole.  Right now, it's only have a 25 yard gun, but this summer I'll have more time to play around with it.

ssettle

Yea its nice to see some folks use back powder. When I hunt with my boys I usually take my blackpowder gun. Neither has taken a bird yet since I've been taking them spring hunting but they have come close. I'll be working hard this year to make it happen because we will have more time together. Last year my youngest son was with me and we had one coming in behind us but someone tried to sneak in and spooked the bird. We hunt state forest land. I love hunting those mountain birds.
I'd like to come up with a load for my 20 gage Fowler that will give me more hits at forty yards. I got to get out to the range in the next 2 weeks because the opener is April 30 here in PA. I hope the weather clears up before May it sure has been raining alot here during the month. I won't be taking the flinter out in wet weather,,,to hard to keep things dry. :angry9:

joey46

Glad to see a muzzleloader page also.  I'll be watching as I play with my new TK2000.

flintlock

Smoke em' if you got em!

Good luck boys
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Old Gobbler

I have quite a collection of muzzleloaders - looking forward to reading everyones posts -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

WildTigerTrout

I plan on using my Knight TK 2000 in the Spring of 2012. Looking forward to it.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

otis

:fud:  i just bought a tk 2000 and i have 2 TC muzzle  loader barrels for my encore in 12 gauge i need to learn  alot  about these guns  i cant wait

otis