turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I want to hear some Cody Calls

Started by BottomLand54, February 07, 2018, 05:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perrytrails

I just sold a spec 1 Legend, that recording is spot on.

Of all the slates I've owned two stand out to me, that one and a Platz Cherry slate.

I gave my son a world class glass call I've had since the 80's. Very nice calls.

Why did I sell? I have a crutch, I have used a mouth call since I was a kid. Started making my own mouth calls and let the rest go.

The Cody World Class and spec 1 calls are outstanding.

MK M GOBL

Took me a bit to find this, I was doing a talk for some kids at a Learn to Hunt program I volunteer for.

I am running a diaphragm at first then get to running my CODY World Class Slate.

one more from FB

https://www.facebook.com/GaysMillsSportsmansClubLearnToHuntProgram/videos/vb.596872750328387/1670146359667682/?type=2&theater

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Quote from: davisd9 on February 08, 2018, 12:29:46 PM
Is it slate over glass or over a metallic?

Not a bad sounding call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a slate over a wood sound board. Imagine yourself a violin, the sound resonates off the of the board. The call has amazing realism in it's sound, hard to explain what I mean by that. Best thing you could do is hear one in person and you will hear what I mean.

MK M GOBL

davisd9

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 08, 2018, 03:33:58 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 08, 2018, 12:29:46 PM
Is it slate over glass or over a metallic?

Not a bad sounding call

It is a slate over a wood sound board. Imagine yourself a violin, the sound resonates off the of the board. The call has amazing realism in it's sound, hard to explain what I mean by that. Best thing you could do is hear one in person and you will hear what I mean.

MK M GOBL

Great sounding call, but the sound files I have heard is no where close to making me want to drop $150+ bucks on it. Sounds like a slate over glass in the files and that is not a sound I am crazy about.  I do like slate over slate and slate over wood. Maybe it sounds better in person.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

CMBOSTC

Quote from: mrclif on February 08, 2018, 12:20:44 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be8SdsXBnDy/?taken-by=codyturkeycalls

Never linked nothing from instagram dono if thatll work or not

Heck, mine sound very similar to that and I only charge $65. Guess I need to raise my prices, hehe!

crow

[/quote]

MK M GOBL
[/quote]

I would agree with this statement of hearing this call in person to judge it's potential, I'm not saying it's worth the money or it's not, just saying your not hearing what it really sounds like in a recording.

One of my buddies has a Cody world class and it sounds much better in person (probably most calls do). there are subtle tones that don't show up on a recording.

an interesting thing (to me anyway) about recording that I have noticed with both paddle calls and real fiddles (violins) is that the call/fiddle that sounds the best to my ear when hearing it played live, does not always sound like the best call/fiddle when listening to a recording of it.

perrytrails

Hard to judge a call by a recording

southern_leo

Ok i can't find the thread but I told some people I would give my opinion of Cody after I played them at the convention. I'm posting here and hope y'all find it. This is my opinion only, not bashing just being honest.

I was the first customer at the Cody table today. Bill was there and I spoke with him a good bit. He had NO world class, spec 1, or legends to test. He said he stays sold out. I must say I was disappointed I figured he would at least have a display to take orders. Anyway, honest opinion, he seemed arrogant and was not welcoming at all. He pretty much claimed he invented wood structure inside a pot in the 80s and most other call makers there have copied him. He seemed offended when I said I wanted to see what a $200 call sounded like. I was being honest but he seemed to take a level of offense. He was not rude per say but was not welcoming or appreciative that i stopped by like most call makers I talked to. His assistant guy was much nicer and helped me go through the fatwood, drop dead, and envy calls. Ran the glass, slate, and green slates of what they had available, also ran the strikers they had. Conclusion was....i wasn't impressed. They weren't bad, and I would hunt them for sure, but I think other call makers make better sounding calls. I'm only speaking for the calls I mentioned i played. His high ends maybe something special, and id love to play one, but I'm not anxious to give Bill my money now. By the way every other call maker today i spoke with, even if I didn't buy, was extremely nice, thanked me for stopping, and spent as much time talking to me as I wanted. I was just plain disappointed with Bill honestly. And with the history of Cody I was looking forward to meeting him. Anyway there's my Cody report. Not talking down on him just reporting my experience.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BottomLand54

Quote from: southern_leo on February 16, 2018, 10:21:42 PM
Ok i can't find the thread but I told some people I would give my opinion of Cody after I played them at the convention. I'm posting here and hope y'all find it. This is my opinion only, not bashing just being honest.

I was the first customer at the Cody table today. Bill was there and I spoke with him a good bit. He had NO world class, spec 1, or legends to test. He said he stays sold out. I must say I was disappointed I figured he would at least have a display to take orders. Anyway, honest opinion, he seemed arrogant and was not welcoming at all. He pretty much claimed he invented wood structure inside a pot in the 80s and most other call makers there have copied him. He seemed offended when I said I wanted to see what a $200 call sounded like. I was being honest but he seemed to take a level of offense. He was not rude per say but was not welcoming or appreciative that i stopped by like most call makers I talked to. His assistant guy was much nicer and helped me go through the fatwood, drop dead, and envy calls. Ran the glass, slate, and green slates of what they had available, also ran the strikers they had. Conclusion was....i wasn't impressed. They weren't bad, and I would hunt them for sure, but I think other call makers make better sounding calls. I'm only speaking for the calls I mentioned i played. His high ends maybe something special, and id love to play one, but I'm not anxious to give Bill my money now. By the way every other call maker today i spoke with, even if I didn't buy, was extremely nice, thanked me for stopping, and spent as much time talking to me as I wanted. I was just plain disappointed with Bill honestly. And with the history of Cody I was looking forward to meeting him. Anyway there's my Cody report. Not talking down on him just reporting my experience.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ok now you have heard and been treated how i was on the phone.

why in the world would you set up a booth at one of the largest if not the largest turkey hunting shows/convention and not have your best product to show? tells me lol its a rip off.

a friend of mine come to find out has a cody spec 1 legend he said the thing started coming apart so he shipped it back to bill he said you get one fix and from then on out i charge 45.00 to glue his particle board back together lol. NO THANKS. I am glad i have done my research, and i am glad some guys like them. I want to play one still.

sbbow

WOW !

idratherb

Dale Earnhardt, Michael Jordan & Tiger Woods were arrogant too, I always rooted for them. In fact my two favorite trumpet makers aren't warm and fuzzy when I call and place my order but who cares if they make IMO the best product i'll Continue to buy it.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: idratherb on February 17, 2018, 03:56:15 PM
Dale Earnhardt, Michael Jordan & Tiger Woods were arrogant too, I always rooted for them. In fact my two favorite trumpet makers aren't warm and fuzzy when I call and place my order but who cares if they make IMO the best product i'll Continue to buy it.

Just my 2 cents, it should always be about the personal experience. I myself won't do business with someone who is a jerk. I also will treat every customer as though they are the most special person in the world. As they are in my mind, they are fellow turkey hunters and represent our tradition and heritage. Without them, I wouldn't be able to do what I love. Making calls. I think that a call maker should look in the mirror and ask themselves, why am I doing this. I have met some truly cool dudes by making calls.

MK M GOBL

I have never meet Bill in person, but anytime I have talked with him or Debbie I have never had an issue. Bill took time to talk with me and has made a few things for me as well. My calls are better than 20 years old and never a problem with any of them, in any way and a friend just bought me a SPEC 1 Legend call last spring and the call has that amazing sound too, probably the new favorite and might retire the old World Class as a keepsake.

Sad to hear of the "In-Person" thing, can't say much to that...

MK M GOBL