turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is the best sealer for finishing?

Started by Disney, May 01, 2017, 10:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disney

I have been using Minwax Spahr Urethane exterior gloss on my pot calls and an having trouble. The lady at the paint store told me the Minwax brand was best and it already has a sealer in it. Well it doesnt work that way for me, even with very light coats. I get little pools, places where it doesn't soak in. If I stain the wood first, it's no problem. I also sand very well with 150 grit before attempting to finish. If I sand with anything smoother the wood has a polished effect and nothing soaks in.I wanted to show the natural color and grain without stain. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

southern_leo

I use polyurethane spray but I use the matte finish. I do light coats and just do several coats. Some woods absorb better than others. If your still getting pooling do lighter coats. Even if the wood is not absorbing quickly if it's pooling your either to close or spending too much time in the same spot. I do complete one over and let it dry then repeat a few times. I have had times I had to resand when I messed up but not so much now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mastevt

I use several different finishes, depending on what I'm doing.  I use a lot of minwax polyacrylic.  It works well on lot of woods, including ebony and stabilized materials.  I also use True oil, teak oil, Boiled Linseed oil, and CA glue.  The oils protect by penatration the fibers, and we all know oil repels water.  The polyacrylic,  and CA, protect by coating the piece.  Creating a barrier where water can't penatrate.
The finer I sand, the nicer the finish goes on.  I usually sand to 500, and sometimes to 800. 
My only suggestion would be try some different finishes, and see which one you like best.

Disney

Thanks. I was using 600. The grain was gorgeous,  I just ouldn't get the finish right.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

NCbowjunkie

I have been using the sealer from Thunderbird Archery and the top coat finish also . I use this on all the. Bows that I build .the sealer can be brushed , applied with cloth, or sprayed . It really brings the natural grain out great.   

Longbeardfever4ever

Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

bkdavid

Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer is available on Amazon.

An oldie but a goodie

rodney gillikin

I use bulls eye shellac wood sealer then after dry sand 400 to 800 grits and put finish on.
Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/

kyhareraiser

maybe you're sanding to fastbif it's polishing the wood if youvsand long . that also could be blowing the pores as you what so called polished look . that would keep finish's to puddlev

Grouperdawg

Truoil has been the best for me,  I sand to 800 grit and apply with cloth.  A few hrs or more  between coats depending on the weather.   When it fully cures it is strong

kyhareraiser

Min wax.  sand and seal is what i've found to be best

misfire

I am strictly a CA guy. I may use a coat of tung oil before just to bring out the grain a little more, but the only finish I use is CA
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net