OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Leon's turkey caller  (Read 14177 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Leon's turkey caller
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 02:17:52 PM »
Love the history lessons on this site.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Dukejb

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 03:19:24 PM »
One sold on eBay earlier this week. After reading Mr. McClure’s book I would have probably bid on it, but after a massive gunsmith bill last month I’m on spending restrictions.

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 12:58:49 AM »
Thanks for sharing Herb!

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »
Amazing story. Thanks for sharing

I have a leon's in my collection , mint in the box , I won't part with it --
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 04:02:58 PM »
Great history lesson!! Thanks....I have a couple of the Leon turkey callers I bought still in the box and a copy of his book.

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 08:23:36 PM »
This will be a call that will very hard to reproduce the 3 metal parts will have to be stamped and to make the dies will cost more than you could ever sell enough to re coupe your cost and if you hand made them the cost would be so high you could never sell them.

Offline M Sharpe

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 09:50:36 PM »
In reference to Southern-Leo's post, cocerning some modern-day call maker, re-making the Leon turkey caller and improving it to a modern-day caller; thus using today's rubber diaphragms, and keeping the legacy alive; for this type caller. This was my reason to post on here too begin with; hoping to keep his legacy.

Originally, I had planed to tell my same story, at Unicoi's Call Makers Event; and the call makers there. However, I not being a call maker, I was not allowed to talk, or tell my story. Even, after the round table discussion was over; on in-haled wind instruments like wing bones and trumpets; this year.

One more ti-bit, about Leon's caller.  Back in 1964, in Yatesville, Ark., a Mr. Bill Clements, won the Champion of Champion Turkey Calling contest; using the Leon Turkey caller.
Herb McClure     

As one of two people that put this show on, I feel the need to comment on this post! First and foremost, let me say, Russell and I do the best that we can do to make this show a success! We try to keep down any and all problems to make it run smoothly!!

Mr. Herb called me and stated he wanted to sit on the round table discussion to tell Leon's story! After much discussion on this, Russell and I decided that this round table was for the ones that actually built calls! I offered Mr Herb the opportunity to do a seminar about Leon's callers. He declined!! He wanted to talk to the call makers. If a guy wants to attend a seminar, he does! If he doesn't, he doesn't!! Russell and I both take offense to this post! No, we're not going to make everyone happy!! We understand that!! But, to sit here and say you weren't ALLOWED to talk, is way out of line!!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 10:03:14 PM »
In reference to Southern-Leo's post, cocerning some modern-day call maker, re-making the Leon turkey caller and improving it to a modern-day caller; thus using today's rubber diaphragms, and keeping the legacy alive; for this type caller. This was my reason to post on here too begin with; hoping to keep his legacy.

Originally, I had planed to tell my same story, at Unicoi's Call Makers Event; and the call makers there. However, I not being a call maker, I was not allowed to talk, or tell my story. Even, after the round table discussion was over; on in-haled wind instruments like wing bones and trumpets; this year.

One more ti-bit, about Leon's caller.  Back in 1964, in Yatesville, Ark., a Mr. Bill Clements, won the Champion of Champion Turkey Calling contest; using the Leon Turkey caller.
Herb McClure     

As one of two people that put this show on, I feel the need to comment on this post! First and foremost, let me say, Russell and I do the best that we can do to make this show a success! We try to keep down any and all problems to make it run smoothly!!

Mr. Herb called me and stated he wanted to sit on the round table discussion to tell Leon's story! After much discussion on this, Russell and I decided that this round table was for the ones that actually built calls! I offered Mr Herb the opportunity to do a seminar about Leon's callers. He declined!! He wanted to talk to the call makers. If a guy wants to attend a seminar, he does! If he doesn't, he doesn't!! Russell and I both take offense to this post! No, we're not going to make everyone happy!! We understand that!! But, to sit here and say you weren't ALLOWED to talk, is way out of line!!!
I got a question. I make calls but I'm very unfamiliar with this call. Is there anyone making a modern version that you know of? Looks like a cool call and people seem to have liked it. Thanks 

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline M Sharpe

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 10:40:06 PM »
Matt McLain took measurements at Unicoi. Don't know if he will build any of them. Bob Buckner is going to make one or two of them, I think. See ol' bob's post on this thread.

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Offline oleman59

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »
Does anyone know anything about this call?
very nice find i have one just can,t get it to work like would like

Offline ElkTurkMan

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 07:08:36 PM »
Love the insight and the history lesson as always Mr. Herb. Thanks for your post on this thread.

Offline wislnwings

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 08:05:56 AM »
Here are the pictures Mr. McClure sent me to show how the latex sits on the caller.  I'm posting these with his permission.

Offline wislnwings

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2018, 08:08:21 AM »
Additional pics.

Offline Herb McClure

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 07:01:56 AM »
Thanks to wislnwings for putting these photos on here; so some can get an idea of taping a single rubber across a Leon caller. This single works much better than the old double. These callers have always been hard to learn to use; but well worth learning.

Offline strutnrut

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2018, 10:25:24 PM »
Want to sell it. Or I willj build you a hen box for it.