turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

BPS ????

Started by nyhunter, April 17, 2011, 06:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhunter

Lookin at buying a BPS for turkey hunting, and i have a couple questions. First where is this gun made? Second which produces better patterns 24",26",28" barrel?Third what choke and constriction works best with this gun? Fourth and final what shell are you gettin your best patterns out of and what kinda numbers are you getting in a 10" circle? Thanks for any input you have.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Thank You      Gerri,

S.C.C

Made in Japan,PG or IC in .670-.675 24" for turkey huntin and HEVI13 3"-2oz-#7 or#6 shot 200 or more hits in a 10" at 40yrds!!

R AJ

I have a 22" invector + bbl and get very nice patterns in a 12 gauge BPS.
The 24" seems like a good compromise with having an extended choke.
Get the invector+ barrel and go to the Sumtoy Custom Choke website. Call 912-237-4360 and William will put you onto an amazingly well built and great patterning choke that will be a 675 I believe.
The choke is stainless steel and best designed for the H-13 shell. This years H-13 mag blend is shooting patterns that suggest buying as much of it as you can stand in case it changes. It shoots the 7s and 6s in the 3-2-#X
as well.  If you are getting the 20 gauge be sure to get the invector+ barrel and talk personally with William.
Of all the great guns and choke opportunities out there today you will have a lifetime gun and choke combo whereby you can concentrate on other things. Good hunting .

the Ward

i've hunted with a bps for about 15 or16 years now,possibly the best quality pump on the market today.great quality good price and an excellent backbored barrel top tang safety and absolutly reliable.never had any problems with mine.as a matter of fact im using it again this season because my new benelli had to go back to customer service because the comfortec stock failed after 5 turkey loads while patterning!if i could get a do over i'd have just bought a new 3.5 bps and had lots of cash left over for acessorizing.cons of this gun is its weight but a synthetic stocked on isn't too bad.running a .680 choke,going to mr williams at sumtoy for a choke soon.a pure gold is also a good one.yea,this gun is made in japan,but i think the factory is the same as the one that builds the high end miroku shotguns.good luck,that gun is a great choice....ward

mudhen

Japan - Miroku I think.
28" - but shorter barrels wih the right choke should be fine.
I like Indian Creek SS .665
I also like 3.5" in the BPS, H-13 #6's, 2.25 oz.
I get around 200 with my 24" NWTF BPS.

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Birdman

I have been using a BPS Stalker for the last 7yrs.
28" barrel with Williams Fire Sights and a Indian Creek .665.
I use the Winchester Supreme HV in 3.5" 2oz #5's.
My best patterns have been 179 & 190 Hits in a 10" circle at 35yds this past weekend.

Yes it is a heavier gun but it steadies well when it counts.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: nyhunter on April 17, 2011, 06:50:27 AM
Lookin at buying a BPS for turkey hunting, and i have a couple questions. First where is this gun made? Second which produces better patterns 24",26",28" barrel?Third what choke and constriction works best with this gun? Fourth and final what shell are you gettin your best patterns out of and what kinda numbers are you getting in a 10" circle? Thanks for any input you have.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Thank You      Gerri,

Hey Gerri,

I've had several BPS models over the years. I had an Upland Special and a Special Field as well as standard models with different barrel lengths. The older ones had Invector barrels and the newer ones Invector+ barrels. All have been good reliable guns.

I don't think you could go wrong with a BPS. My early field guns had very short barrels because at that time they were designed for upland hunting, quail, etc. I used them for turkeys and by the standards of those times, they did very well and were responsible for the demise of several red-headed birds.

Today, I go with longer barrels, at least 26" because they just seem to pattern much better, aren't too long in the turkey woods and reduce muzzle whip. I have 2 currently and both have longer barrels.

I've followed the recommendation of Browning for turkey chokes on the Invector+ guns and had good results with their "Full Strut" choke with a .640 e.d. and with the SSX with a .643 e.d. I've also had good results with the Wright's #3 with a .650 e.d. and with a Strangler with a similar e.d.

In the last few years I've used 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot because I know that shell better than most, since I also shoot it in competition most of the time.

The BPS has a notoriously heavy trigger but it's pretty easy to get used to and they are a bit heavy. I've always liked them and think you'd enjoy owning one.

All my best,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Odessa

I have owned five Browning BPS shotguns over the years and they are well made shotguns.  I currently own one 12 gauge NWTF model for turkey hunting, use a PureGold .670, and 3" 2 oz. Magnum Blends.  You cannot get a better sit and call shotgun. My only issue is the weight when run and gun hunting, but you cannot get everything in one gun. 
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge