OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Current quality of Lonnie Sneed pot calls?  (Read 44502 times)

Offline raven105

Current quality of Lonnie Sneed pot calls?
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »
Can anyone shed some light on the current quality of Lonnie Sneed pot calls? Specifically, the Hot Hen and Outlaw Hen.  I see his calls are recommended by many and wondered if he's still got it?  Has anyone used his facebook page and ordered via text through his grandson?  Thanks in advance for the info! 

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Current quality of Lonnie Sneed pot calls?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:52:43 PM »
I have both. They are excellent calls. I would call Lonnie, he likes to talk turkey and has some great stories.

Offline raven105

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 10:18:10 PM »
Outstanding!  Thanks for the info, guys.  Think I'll place an order for both!

Online Wigsplitter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 10:42:53 PM »
Outstanding calls from an even greater call maker. Do yourself a favor and call mr lonnie personally -it will be a conversation you won't forget!! Highly recommended!

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:59:34 PM »
I got 2 of his calls about a month ago and I think they're as good as advertised.
Here's a video I made as they came right out of the mailbox.
I'm far from a top notch caller but at least you will have an idea of the sound

https://youtu.be/kO9r2e4AGpM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blake_08

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 12:00:19 PM »
I ordered an outlaw hen and hot hen about a year ago from Lonnie. Both calls came and both were great sounding calls. Absolutely no complaints. They were marked "hand crafted by Lonnie Sneed, Sr." and had the date on them. My dad liked the calls so much that i gave them to him and decided i would order me some more. About a month ago, I placed my second order with Mr. Sneed and received the calls quicker than my last order. These calls are not marked "hand crafted by Lonnie Sneed, Sr." and the date is not on them. The 2nd hot hen slate is a killer sounding call, but I'm not satisfied with the 2nd outlaw hen i received. It does not play like or sound like the first call i received. It's almost like the surface is not conditioned the same. I'm going to call lonnie and talk to him, but i just figured I would share my experience.

Offline raven105

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »
I ordered an outlaw hen and hot hen about a year ago from Lonnie. Both calls came and both were great sounding calls. Absolutely no complaints. They were marked "hand crafted by Lonnie Sneed, Sr." and had the date on them. My dad liked the calls so much that i gave them to him and decided i would order me some more. About a month ago, I placed my second order with Mr. Sneed and received the calls quicker than my last order. These calls are not marked "hand crafted by Lonnie Sneed, Sr." and the date is not on them. The 2nd hot hen slate is a killer sounding call, but I'm not satisfied with the 2nd outlaw hen i received. It does not play like or sound like the first call i received. It's almost like the surface is not conditioned the same. I'm going to call lonnie and talk to him, but i just figured I would share my experience.

Good to know.  Curious to know if you received covers for your pots?  I communicated via text with his grandson for my order last night.  He told me they discontinued the covers.  I wondered if the overall quality would be the same and whether or not Mr. Lonnie was still an integral part of the call building process.  Please keep us updated on your conversation with him on the subpar Outlaw Hen. 

Offline blake_08

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 04:44:43 PM »

Good to know.  Curious to know if you received covers for your pots?  I communicated via text with his grandson for my order last night.  He told me they discontinued the covers.  I wondered if the overall quality would be the same and whether or not Mr. Lonnie was still an integral part of the call building process.  Please keep us updated on your conversation with him on the subpar Outlaw Hen.

I did receive pot covers on my latest order. I hate to hear they've discontinued them, they're pretty nice little covers. I tried calling Lonnie this afternoon but didn't get him. I'll try again this evening or tomorrow and i'll keep you posted on our conversation.

Offline blake_08

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 06:30:02 PM »
So I just got off the phone with Mr. Sneed. He basically told me tough luck. He said he's too covered up with orders to take any calls back to rework them and that he's so busy fulfilling new orders he had to discontinue his covers. He said all he can tell me to do is get a conditioning stone and try to condition the glass more. To be honest I'm kind of shocked and disappointed with our conversation. Oh well I guess. If I can't get it to sound right I'll just put the call up. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 08:42:13 PM »
Wow. I have talked to Mr sneed on numerous occasions. It is really surprising that he would tell you that. I would have bet anything that he would have told you to send it back. Oh well. Good luck.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Wildflower Game Caller

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 09:07:01 PM »
So I just got off the phone with Mr. Sneed. He basically told me tough luck. He said he's too covered up with orders to take any calls back to rework them and that he's so busy fulfilling new orders he had to discontinue his covers. He said all he can tell me to do is get a conditioning stone and try to condition the glass more. To be honest I'm kind of shocked and disappointed with our conversation. Oh well I guess. If I can't get it to sound right I'll just put the call up. Good luck with yours.

Blake, I'm happy to help you with a custom order if you'd like to take a look at wildflowercalls.com . We are doing things a little differently with the new shop, and the calls are sounding, and looking great.

Offline raven105

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 09:36:24 PM »

That's pretty disappointing. 

Offline blake_08

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 09:43:59 PM »

That's pretty disappointing.
Yes sir. It's pretty unexpected because I've had 3 or 4 phone conversations with him and he was super nice and helpful. Oh well, maybe he's stressed out or something. I'm not mad about it. I'll either get it to sounding good or I'll just put it in the cabinet. If you get a good one though they sure are good! Good luck

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 10:05:59 PM »
Sorry off topic but I thought it was strange for another maker to piggyback on this tread to promote his calls, wildflower I went to your site nice calls but I saw no ones name attached to the site, I just thought it would be better to promote your product on its own thread!

Offline blake_08

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 10:23:47 PM »

WOW, can't believe he told you that! This board has made the turkey hunting world seem really small. Word of mouth is everything.
I'm not trying to run his name in the dirt or anything like that, but that's honestly how our conversation went. Not the customer service I expected but he's over 80 years old and I think he stays pretty busy. Again I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from purchasing from Mr. Sneed, just wanted to update y'all on my experience with my last order.