OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Went thru gear  (Read 8194 times)

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Went thru gear
« on: February 05, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
Went thru my gear this weekend and all seems to be ready to go. Only thing left to do is double check the guns and put a few odds N' ends in the vest. Might try TSS out of the 835, been a few years since she seen the woods and I've got the urge to tote it. Ordered a few diaphragms this morning, a couple CC Smokers and Hook's Executioners.  The only thing else I'd might purchase will be more TSS, would like a few more pounds to have stashed away. The fever has set in.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Went thru gear
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 01:05:56 PM »
About time for me to get serious and start getting everything together.  Got my vest out and a few things in it.  Got to clean the 500 and check her zero.  Going to shoot the 11-87 once just to see what she will do, will go from there depending on the results from her.  Waiting on a trumpet from KP.  Ordered some hulls to have for inventory.  Been wanting some strikers from Mr. Fowler but have held off, we will see how long that last as USMC0331 and kwild835 keep sending me pictures and soundfiles of what they got from him.  Got a couple pounds of shot but will probably get some more as well just to have.

About time to get serious with the calling practice. Get on vest and go sit at a tree in awkward positions and get to calling. 

We are 43 days out here in SC for private land!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Online Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 04:39:28 PM »
We've still got months. Haven't gone through my stuff yet., nothing I really need that's not here. Getting close for you guys!!

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »
My vest is good.  I'll just add my inflatable dekes, a cushion and some snacks/water.  I'm not much into call collecting, I'm an if it ain't broke, don't fix it kinda guy. 

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 02:13:33 PM »
In September I stopped at Cabelas on the way home from the Hunting camp and as always I poked my head in the Bargain Cave. Saw they had a few turkey related items in the back and naturally went straight that way. There I found a DSD strutter with a stake, marked down to $17.00. I scooped it up and went to find the gentleman working that area to see if the price was correct, he said no - the tag had a red X on it - he then informed me that it would 10% off the lowest price. Bought it for 15 bucks and some change. The decoy was not used or damaged, it was a display model with no box or the plastic nuts to attached a fan. A steal!

Jim, I'm with ya. Those are the only calls I've bought this year. They are my favorites and the ones from last year have seen better days.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 02:21:03 PM »
In September I stopped at Cabelas on the way home from the Hunting camp and as always I poked my head in the Bargain Cave. Saw they had a few turkey related items in the back and naturally went straight that way. There I found a DSD strutter with a stake, marked down to $17.00. I scooped it up and went to find the gentleman working that area to see if the price was correct, he said no - the tag had a red X on it - he then informed me that it would 10% off the lowest price. Bought it for 15 bucks and some change. The decoy was not used or damaged, it was a display model with no box or the plastic nuts to attached a fan. A steal!

Jim, I'm with ya. Those are the only calls I've bought this year. They are my favorites and the ones from last year have seen better days.

Just saw those wings the other day.  Need to get them in the mail!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »
Hang on to them, I'll see ya in a few weeks.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 10:55:34 AM »

I can't say I wouldn't have passed that deal up, I found a Cabela's strutter deke at the Harrisburg, PA Cabela's store about 5 years ago that was 19.99.  Yeah I bought it, it was a return that didn't include the fake fan so I contacted the company that made them for Cabela's and they sent me the fan for free.  I'll never pass up a good deal. 

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 10:58:59 AM »
Not really a call collector but like learning new calls and always looking for one that might have that special juju in it.  I do like trumpets and box calls so I buy them when I find something I like, but if I buy it then I plan to hunt it.  Just picked up a tube call at a steal, been wanting one to learn how to use. 

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 06:49:35 PM »
I've got a few box calls that don't hunt.  Not that I wouldn't, just found one I really like.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:58:40 PM by dirt road ninja »

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »
I’m good to go. I have a few new trumpets with another from Cox on the way. Other than that I have a new satchel that I need to get used to. May can’t come fast enough!

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 04:18:51 PM »

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 06:59:04 PM »
I had a new vest picked up this weekend, a Nomad in my favorite color Bottomland. I ended up not buying it as I had ordered a bow at the same place. It seemed like it was well made but might be a little warm. I’ll likely have to get some type of vest as mine has seen it’s better days.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 08:55:45 PM »
What bow ya ordered?

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 09:50:08 PM »
I ordered a PSE Beast ECS. Probably not for everybody. It’s a longdraw bow but I’m only a 29” DL. I just like long ATA bows. It’s basically their new target bow with their standard size ECS cam. It doesn’t come in anodized target colors like their Shootdown. I ordered in charcoal gray, first time I’ve had a bow that wasn’t all black in many years.