OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Grandpa's 16ga?!?

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 16, 2011, 08:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Well I grabbed grandpa's old 16ga when I was at my dad's place today.  The last time the gun was fired was when I was 10 so that is 19 years ago.  It is an old Diamond single shot that was given to my grandpa.  He never turkey hunted because there were no birds around.  I am going to get a box of lead #6s tomorrow and shot the gun.  I am hoping to get out to 30 yards with it.  It has a full choke so we will see what happens.  I will post numbers if I get out shooting tomorrow with it.  For all I know, the gun has never shot an animal. 

deadbuck

wisconsinteacher

The gun is clean so to speak.  My uncles used electrical tape to put the forearm on.  I took it off when I was a kid and fixed the latch so it works.  They also knocked the bead sight off so I will have to put one on.  I hope that job is easy.  The only writing on it is "Diamond Arms Co. St. Louis, MO.  I remember that it kicked when I was 10.  I am excited to shoot it!!

cannonball

Nice looking gun. I am a fan of single shots, that was my first gun I started hunting.

Richyb

hey did you take a shot with it yet ? what shells are you trying ? .. i have a cooey single 16 with a full choke that i have been thinkging about trying out. thanks.

wisconsinteacher

Well I shot the gun and found out way the tape was on it.  After every shot the forearm falls off.  The numbers I got were not good at all.  I got 60 in 10" from 20 yards away.  I used Remington GameLoad #6 with 1oz of shot.  I think I am going to get a box of #7.5s.  I hope the 7.5 will give better numbers but I am worried about their killing power past 20 yards.  It was cool to shoot the old gun.

TrackeySauresRex

:icon_thumright: I like it too. I hope you find a good shell to shoot.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Rob Robertson

Use that 16.   I have shot Turkeys with my Old Sixteen.  An Auto 5 made in 1910.  Uses 2 9/16 inch shells.  One oz of lead #6 out of the full choke it has kills turkeys out to 30 yards no problem.   Enjoy that ol 16.

bowhunter84

beautiful gun. it would be special to kill a turkey with your grandpa's gun

wisconsinteacher

Should I try #7.5s?  Could those kill out to 30 yards?

jfair

Very cool gun!  My dad has one that looks exactly like that, but I never looked to see what it was.  Where is the writing located on yours?  I grew up shooting that 16 at lots of small game.  Never put anything but low brass 7.5's through it as the stock is cracked, but killed lots of groundhogs at 30 yards.(lots got away too)  Love to know what shoots the best for you.  I never patterned it.

wisconsinteacher

The writing is on the left side of the receiver.  I don't know if 7.5s will kill a bird at 30?

MOSPURS

IF YOU HAVE THE PATTERN 7.5 LEAD WILL BE FINE

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Fastcat

I killed a jake in the fall with my grandpa's 16 gauge several years ago.  He was feeding in the timber at 20-25 yards and dropped like he never heard the shot.   The gun hung on the kitchen wall at the farm and killing something with it was always a goal of mine. (Childhood ambitions never die!) The only writing on it is "Long Tom" on the receiver and "choke bored" on the barrel. The shell I used in it was an old federal labeled "DUCK and GOOSE #6 LEAD" obviously a relic from a more innocent time!  If you are wondering the barrel is 40 inches and throws a mean pattern with those old shells.