OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Devotional Friday 2/11/2011

Started by BOFF, February 11, 2011, 07:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

My brothers and sisters, this week I have been led to focus on the words which come out of our mouths. These words which often so freely flow from our lips, affect everyone and everything. They affect our witness,our relationship with Christ, our relationships with others, and our fruits of the Spirit.  

Ephesians 4:29
29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Ephesians 5:4
4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

Very simply, we are told to build others up. I can honestly report, the old phrase "sticks and stones" is quite untrue, as I have had many words which cut to the heart, and have left some deep wounds. Why is it, at times, so hard to pass on a compliment, while at other times so easy? For me personally, it all depends on the relationship I currently have with Christ. When I'm close to him, love easily spreads out  to others, and when I'm in my selfish world, all my focus is on me.  I find it comes down to my time spent with the Lord, and His word. What goes into my brain, and into my heart, often comes quickly out of my mouth.

Paul reiterates what is written above, by instructing us in Philippians 4:8  to store and feed our inner thoughts with positive things.

Philippians 4:8
8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Have I been spending too much time on OG, or reading too much in hunting magazines? If so, more than likely my speech is going to be about hunting, my actions are going to be around hunting, and my goals are going to be pressed on, towards hunting. Is this a bad thing? No, not necessarily. But if it hinders me from having God at the top of my "to do lists"  then it is a bad thing.  It is hard to quote scripture at the most opportune time, to build others up, if I have not been diligently studying God's word. Why?  Well in closing, Matthew 12:35 reads of the answer.

Matthew 12:35
35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.

It is so easy to say one word or phrase, which can cause so much harm, or so much good. Have you studied God's word more than the time spent on OG?   What have you been feeding your inner self with, for this last week?  I challenge you to feed yourself with God's Holy word.

Stop..........................

Pause.........................

and actually THINK about what you are going to say before you speak, and watch how the fruits will grow in your relationships!

Father God I thank you for the opportunity today to come to you through prayer and writing. Knowing you love me, and care for me, and are eager to listen to my words of concern, praise, and thanksgiving. Thank you for your loving Spirit, and many times of protection when I am unaware. Thank you for my loving wife, my daughter, my extended family, and the family I have with you in Your Kingdom, I thank you for OG and ask that you Bless it with success, and continue to make it a family atmosphere. Forgive me of my lack of prayer time, and seeking your face through your word. Help us to be diligent in the feed  we seek to fill or brain and hearts with this week. Let the words we speak be pleasing to your ears and be building blocks for others in their area of concern and need. Guide us with your Holy Spirit and give us the wisdom and knowledge in handling all affairs this week, not for our glory, but for yours. We praise you and thank you for what you have done, and for what you are going to do. For it is in Jesus name I ask and claim these things, Amen.

God Bless,
David B.

Roostem33

Amen David, you sure can't get words back after they are out of the mouth. Thanks for the reminder and have a great day!!!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

lightsoutcalls

Thank you for the reminder.  It is very easy to get sidetracked into the "Stuff" of life and lose sight of what is important.  Your words are on target!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

latimer shedhead

Amen! That's a reminder we need every day.

bornagain64

Great word.
Anything that gets more of our time in life, than time with GOD, becomes an IDOL.
We have to be so careful to feed our Spiritual Man, and starve the Flesh.

Thanks for the WORD!

yellowacorns

Thanks for taking time to write the devotional.
We need daily reminders.

turkey slayer

Executioner

Great post, thanks for sharing. God bless.
"Confidence in your God given abilities adds more turkeys to your daily limit" Mike Miller "The Turkey Killer" Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you your hearts desires. Psalm 37:4