OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Ol Tom Easy Rider Vest

Started by low2497, February 01, 2018, 09:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL-Boss

I received the vest and it's getting returned.  I don't understand why manufactures make their OSFM vests so large.  I'm 180lbs, 34 waist..pretty average size man and the width of is vest seems to consume me even when adjusted all the way tight. But I find this to be the case with many vests.  I had high hopes because Ol Tom vests (time & motion, etc) normally fit normal sized guys pretty good....not this one.   

I don't need my vest to be "tight" by any means,  but do like the ability to snug it up a little, otherwise it creates a ton of noise when walking. So unless you are over 200lbs, or just like a loose fitting vest, I would probably pass on this one.

Now for the good -  this vest is made better/stronger than any Ol Tom in the past.  I have a few ol toms vest now and the rip stop material on this Easy Rider is better.   I did like the layout,  this vest is like a hybrid - not quite a "minimalist" but not a full either.  The seat magnets are also new and improved and the shoulder straps are a new neoprene that I liked.

tha bugman

Quote from: FL-Boss on February 09, 2018, 10:47:22 AM
I received the vest and it's getting returned.  I don't understand why manufactures make their OSFM vests so large.  I'm 180lbs, 34 waist..pretty average size man and the width of is vest seems to consume me even when adjusted all the way tight. But I find this to be the case with many vests.  I had high hopes because Ol Tom vests (time & motion, etc) normally fit normal sized guys pretty good....not this one.   

I don't need my vest to be "tight" by any means,  but do like the ability to snug it up a little, otherwise it creates a ton of noise when walking. So unless you are over 200lbs, or just like a loose fitting vest, I would probably pass on this one.

Now for the good -  this vest is made better/stronger than any Ol Tom in the past.  I have a few ol toms vest now and the rip stop material on this Easy Rider is better.   I did like the layout,  this vest is like a hybrid - not quite a "minimalist" but not a full either.  The seat magnets are also new and improved and the shoulder straps are a new neoprene that I liked.
I am with you.  I would rather be able to try it on and evaluate it before I buy it, but sizes can get crazy.

Tail Feathers

Dang that Magellan vest linked above looks pretty good.
But you know the quality probably isn't there.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Bolandstrutters

Quote from: PALongspur on February 01, 2018, 09:35:29 AM
The design looks well thought out. Unfortunately unless some major changes have been made, I've never owned anything from this company that lasted an entire season. Good ideas, poor, poor quality.

You must be tough on vest or had some bad luck.  I had one last me probably six years of hard hunting and it never fell apart.  Ended up selling it on ebay dang near for what I paid for it.  I'm tough on my gear too.

Bolandstrutters

Quote from: FL-Boss on February 09, 2018, 10:47:22 AM

Thats good to know.  I can't stand baggy vest.

low2497

Has anyone else got their hands on this vest?

Trying to decide between it and the Primos Gobbler gen 2

Old Gobbler

I like ol tom , but a pair of the pants didn't last as long as I hoped they would , I'm very tough on pants to be fair

The tactical shirt however ....just keeps on going
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Footballer

I bought this vest on impulse after trying it on. The material and stitching is much more durable than my I Beam. I have the old Limbhanger vest but stopped wearing it due to how heavy it is. The Easy Rider is significantly lighter. I can get 4 pots in it with no issues. The straps are neoprene and very comfortable. The seat also seems thicker and more durable than my I Beam. I'm 6'3 250 lbs and it fits great. The material is slightly noisy, but not too bad. I think it's a fair trade for durability. I'll be wearing it opening day over my I Beam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Quote from: Footballer on March 16, 2018, 01:22:05 PM
I bought this vest on impulse after trying it on. The material and stitching is much more durable than my I Beam. I have the old Limbhanger vest but stopped wearing it due to how heavy it is. The Easy Rider is significantly lighter. I can get 4 pots in it with no issues. The straps are neoprene and very comfortable. The seat also seems thicker and more durable than my I Beam. I'm 6'3 250 lbs and it fits great. The material is slightly noisy, but not too bad. I think it's a fair trade for durability. I'll be wearing it opening day over my I Beam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More I look at the vest the more I like it.  Will be getting a few more years on my ibeam but I will definitely watch this vest and at the right cost may give it a go.  Thanks for the review on it.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Finally found one in Realtree Timber on sale so I bit the bullet and hope to get it early this week sometime. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer