North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Introducing your 2018 Roaring 20's lineup

Started by FullChoke, January 30, 2018, 11:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Welcome my brothers!

This is our own dedicated folder for The Roaring 20's and this is where we will handle most communications, postings, scoring data, successes and embarrassing moments suffered at the wings of a bird with a brain the size and shape of a delicious pecan.

As is our tradition, take a moment to introduce yourself and tell us as much as you feel will not directly violate any federal confidentiality clauses. I am more than a fan of witness protection, I'm a WP client! Let us know your name, what you do, where do you live, how long you've been hunting turkeys, etc. etc.

As we have seen through the years, the best teams have been the ones where everyone participates and feels free to discuss subjects that help us all be more successful in the spring turkey woods such as calling, callers, tactics, tricks, well you get the idea. By openly and freely sharing information here, we all have the potential to grow as better hunters.

Hunt safely, have fun, kill gobblers.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

kyhareraiser

Not sure if this is where i do self introduction  but here goes ,  My name is Cecil  , i'm 60 and a disabled hunter . my love for hunting turkey embarrassingly tobsay wss abkutv21 year ago .  I went to calling seminars years before i started hunting though because i was fascinated by sounds that could be made to mock the wild turkey.  so no doubt that helped me in my calling ability of getting atoms to come in .  I live in Ky and hunt here  however this year i'll be hunting in Tenn. also due to me promoting a vet and disabled hunter i'd put a gobbler in their laps .    my hobby  has turned into a small business   thru time ,  ya see i make pot calls and strikers .  the readon i do this  is so i can givebthe kids intakevon hunts each spring something besides a pat on the back and a thst'a boy/ girl which ever it may be .  i've found the excitement of their hunt last about a week past the day they take their gobbler. but with a signed and dated call  given to them keeps the hunt therevtill next spring .  i already got kids calling wanting to know if we're goin again .   nothing i like better than herring a gobbler  shake the tree limbs with a gobble ,  Y i already heard one gobble here in Ky this jan ,  14?it was .  well that's enough about me .   Thanks for having me on the team ,  it's a pleasure

harleytom

Hi I'm Greg. This is my second year on the best team on OG. Really enjoyed last year even though it was my personal worst overall season in 5 years in number of birds taken. I hunt in Alabama and Mississippi and am already gearing up for our March 15th opener in both states. Also hope to go to Nebraska in late April and take another shot at those Merriams. I look forward to interacting with everyone on this team and hope we all have the kind of season we dream about during those cold winter nights.

FullChoke

My name is Norman Sisson and I live in Madison, MS just north of the capital city of Jackson. My wonderful wife and I have been married for right at 38 years and have raised 2 beautiful, strong and talented daughters who are out on their own. I have been chasing turkeys on and off since the spring of 1974 when I was at college at Mississippi State University. Back then, because there were not that many turkeys, no one really wanted to tell anyone anything about how to hunt turkeys and certainly wouldn't tell where I could find them, so I had a rather long and frustrating learning curve. During the day I am the senior computer designer with an environmental and civil engineering firm, and an artist at night working in graphite, acrylics, watercolors, sculpture and now digital graphics. I am a 2 time world champion of the wingbone yelper division of the Grand National NWTF Turkey Call Competition, but I have had to quit making them due to aging eyesight.

I started hunting with a 20 gauge after I won an NWTF Edition Remington 870 Express at our local NWTF banquet. I have it pretty much dialed in at this point. In the past I have shot handloaded TSS shells but this year I will be shooting Federal FC HW 7's. If I can get up to Columbus, MS, I may use my tax refund and lay into some commercial #9 TSS Apex shells. I have had some very good patterns with the Federals in the past, but they can't come close to the lethal pattern density of the TSS shells. I can usually be found hunkered next to a tree hunting gobblers on public and private lands here in central Mississippi, but may head to Alabama to hunt on a friend's family place.

I ran headfirst into a serious health issue last year that wiped out my entire season. Three surgeries later I am on a healthy diet and a fairly rigorous exercise program that is strengthening me beautifully. I really should have been doing this for years anyway. I look forward to getting back in the lineup after warming the bench and am glad to be back on the team.
I never grow weary of the spring ritual of this glorious strategic chess match that we play with this magnificent game bird. :popcorn:

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

kyhareraiser

maybe youcansharesome wingbone tips on using them wth me

paintbrush

Hi Guys! I'm Bill and I live in Brainerd MN. which is about 120 miles north of this years Super Bowl. I'm 61 with 2 grown kids and I am a painting contractor by trade. Been chasing these grand birds around for the past 25 years or so and sure wish I would have started sooner as this is by far and away my favorite hunting!
This is also my second year on this mighty fine team. This year I will be hunting in MN., SD., NE., and if time allows, WI. and/or MO.  I will be trying to give these pesky  gobblers a permanant dirt nap with my T/C Encore 20 ga. once again this year.

3bailey3

Hey guys Dwayne Bailey checking in for my second season with our team, last year only killed one bird but it was a good one, i'am also from Madison Ms, right down the road from our captain, glad to hear you are doing well Norman! I started shooting a 20 3 years ago because the recoil had gotten so bad for this 54 year old to take and I have found that my 20 is a joy to shoot and carry. I shoot a m2 Benelli with a Sumtoy choke, I have been shooting fed heavyweight 7's but I have got some of Apex's tss 9's to try this year and I am also in a new club to hunt this year, 1100 acres and I think I will be the only one turkey hunting it! I know this game is for pride only, no prizes but I will provide a custom pot from the many I have to our team member that takes the best bird this year! After all our season 's have ended Norman please give our team member that has scored the highest and I will mail them a call, just a little incentive to get us to the top, good luck guys have a great season!

3seasons

Hey Guys my names is Scott and this will be my second year on the Roaring 20's. Had a good time last year and hoping to make the best out of the season this year. I'm from south central Mississippi and love chasing the birds through the hills of all the public land in my area. I do however have a bird by my house on the top of my hit list. He drove me nuts last year, never gobbled and wouldn't think to come to a call.  I still hunted him all last year and could only get pics of him 2hrs after I would leave. He drove me insane.  Looking forward to taking my daughter to Florida this year to hopefully complete her Grand Slam.
Good luck to everyone this year. 

cramerhunts

Hello my fellow teammates! This is my second year on the team and I'm looking forward to it! I live in Goodyear, AZ and have been hunting these fine birds since I could walk and I am now 40. I work for a drilling company and travel quite a bit but seem to always find time to get in the field. Last year was a highlight of my hunting career with my daughter completing her Royal Slam and I was able to take a single season Grand. I've toned it down some this year with a hunt in my home state for Merriam's and then hopefully off to Mexico to try and wrap up my Royal with a Gould's. If history is any indication I'll probably end up in NM or CO or TX trying to satisfy the urge to extend the spring season. I'm honored to be on the team again with the best Captain there is leading us.

Phil Cramer

jakesdad

My name is Tim and I'm not sure how many years I've been on this team. I live in North East Missouri. I am an operator at our town's wastewater plant. Been married for 12 years and have 2 boys ages 11 and 8. Boys and I will be chasing Mo birds again this year and will be taking the oldest to Kansas for the youth hunt the first of April. Looking forward to another great year.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Sand Man

Russ here.  I think this is my 3rd year on the team.  2nd in a row for sure.  I live in Fort Worth, TX.  I'm 41 years young.  I cut my teeth hunting public land Easterns in Mississippi where I grew up.  My dad carried me from the time I was knee high to a grasshopper.  I have a 3 and 5 year olds that keep me pretty busy.  Currently in the middle of selling/buying a home, so I hope that doesn't cut into my turkey season.  I plan on hunting TX, OK, AR, and KS.  God willing I'd like to slip back to NE and possibly WY or CO this year for Merriams.  Those mountain turkeys have got in my blood.  Good luck to everyone this year. 

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

xarcher

It's great to be back with you all again this year.  But before I go any further, I want to thank Norm for being our Captain again this year.  We are lucky to have him and his enthusiasm. 

So my name is Jeff and I live in western PA with my wife of almost 34 years.  3 kids grown and out of the nest.  As far as turkey hunting, think about it practically all the time.  Really love the game.  I find myself remembering the hours and hours of fooling with them, but can't remember what they weighed. All dead birds look the same I guess. 

This year I might end up in any one of the following...AL, SC, NC, OH and WV and then wrap up the season in May in my home state of PA.  Took the 20 gage plunge quite a while ago and shoot a Remy 1187 and #9 TSS.  Quite honestly, I started shooting it for the novelty, but I quickly realized it patterns better than any 3-1/2 inch 12 gage round and choke I have ever tried.  I grew up just like everybody else thinking that you had to carry a canon in the woods to be effective.  Guess I am just a slow learner. 

This team knocked on the door last year but fell a few pounds/inches short.  Whaddya say we put our name on the trophy this year.  But more importantly to all my small bore brethren, good luck this year, have some fun, learn a lesson or two, and above all, be safe.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.