OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Memories  (Read 2144 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Memories
« on: April 09, 2018, 04:29:44 PM »
All right, you shot a nice 3 year old gobbler. I assume that you will be enjoying him at the dinner table. What else will you do with him and his various parts (beard, spurs, fan) to help you remember this wonderful hunt? These can range from a freezer bag full of parts all the way up to a full body mount diorama with running water. I have seen many approaches to this task.

What's yours?

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Memories
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:47:03 PM »
Mine is a fan and beard on a plaque with the spurs on a leather strap. For my daughter I did a full body mount of each of the five of her Royal.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Re: Memories
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:44:48 AM »
I take the spent shell, cut off the plastic and knock out the primer. I clean the meat off of end of the beard and plact it in a small jar of salt to dry it up. For the spurs, I cut the leg bones about 3/4" on either side of the spurs, boil them clean, saving the spur covering and bones, dry them out completely and hot glue the spur covering back onto the bone spur. I now take the spurs, thread them on a leather thong, push the ends through the primer hole in the brass and tie a knot. I then take the beard, place it in the brass and fill the brass around it with hot glue. Once everything has cooled off and set, I take an electric metal engraver and scribe the date and location that he came from. into the brass.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it can be stretched out over days or weeks at your leisure.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.