OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Picatinny rails for 870  (Read 2441 times)

Offline CtRider

Picatinny rails for 870
« on: January 24, 2018, 09:37:48 PM »
Hi all - Many thanks to this forum, I've got the itch to add some optics... I'm leaning towards the Bushnell TRS-25. 

However, even with the great info on this site, I'm having trouble picking out a pictanny rail for my 870 supermag. So far the Aimtech looks pretty decent or maybe the UTG claw - anyone with experience with those? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 05:34:59 AM by CtRider »

Offline Laloom83

Re: Picatinny rails for 870
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »
I’m not to familiar with pictanny rails but I like the looks of the AimTech. I’m sure others on the forum have better advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 07:26:35 PM »
First of all...no experience with either.

That said, you’d be money ahead (plus added stability/precision) to drill & tap 2 holes in the receiver, install a half-rail, and mount your red dot. Reputable smith shouldn’t charge more than $40 to d&t. All that assumes you’re willing to dedicate the gun to turkey hunting. If not, I’d look for something other than a dot.

Don’t overthink it...

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 09:20:10 PM »
Contact William at Sumtoy Customs. He goes by Sumtoy on this forum. He drilled & tapped my 870 for me. Nice fellow to deal with. He will be able to help you with any questions you may have.

Offline CtRider

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 05:36:46 AM »
Thanks but no thanks. Interested in the rails because I don’t want to drill and tap it

CrustyRusty

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 02:21:39 AM »
I just got an aimtech for a 20 ga 870.  Front pin would not fit and had to return.  Probably going to drill and tap...

Offline Bamalimbhanger

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 04:54:41 PM »
i had a 1187 drilled and tapped about 3 years ago, best decision I made for gun. I recently purchased a 20 gauge 1187 and I am going to have it drilled also. mesa tactical has a nice picatinny rail for Remington guns.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 09:28:34 PM »
Thanks but no thanks. Interested in the rails because I don’t want to drill and tap it
Won’t you have to drill and tap to mount your rail?

Offline CtRider

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 08:00:19 AM »
Upon further education, what I really want is a saddle mount

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 03:34:36 PM »
Have never used one myself but have 3 friends that use B-Square saddle mounts with no problems.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline saverx

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 06:46:56 PM »
I used a claw for awhile with no issues. Take saddle mounts off once a year and oil or the gun may rust under the mount.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 03:51:05 PM »
I’d like to bump this thread as I’m considering also mounting a trs25 to my 870. I would like to drill and tap though and am looking for recommendations on specific pic rails. I’d like something just short enough to mount the optic on and as low profile as possible.

Offline saverx

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 06:47:32 PM »
I have a full length rail so I can mount the dot forward about middle of the chamber and it works fine. I don't like the dot close to the eye. I use a Primary Arms Micro dot which is similar size to what you are considering. A low mount works fine. Shoot the gun like you would shoot an AR. Perfect cheek weld is no longer needed with a dot. Turkeys don't stand a chance.

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
I’d like to bump this thread as I’m considering also mounting a trs25 to my 870. I would like to drill and tap though and am looking for recommendations on specific pic rails. I’d like something just short enough to mount the optic on and as low profile as possible.

You can buy any pic rail for your 870.
Some as cheap as $10.

You only need two holes so center your red dot Over two. Finger tighten it.

Mark flush to your sight front and back on the rail and they take the red dot off.

Cut it off at your marks with a hack saw, file edges and paint or use a sharpie to cover the cut area.