turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone still shooting open sights? Recommendations

Started by mtns2hunt, January 24, 2018, 06:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Just busted off my fiber optic front sight. Don'd remember the brand but looking for suggestions on a good and durable sight. I frequently like to try new stuff when the occasion calls for it. Not interested in any glass - restriction I placed on myself until I finish my slam. Only one left. Thanks
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

buzzardroost

I shoot deadringer beardbuster sights. Love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddie234

Try glo gobbler dot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chrisun

John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

Ridge Rooster

I am partial to the Williams Slugger Fire Sights.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

mtns2hunt

Some good sights here Thanks! I realize that my busted sight was one of the tru glow series. I will try to find the Williams sight as it different from the one I have been using. I sure some of the stores around here should carry it. I am not a fan of the ghost ring type site as I have never liked sighting through it, although I'm sure its a good one. So it seems its between the Williams and one of the tru glow: unless there are some more suggestions.

Gumby

Williams fire sights are top quality. The tru glo pro magnum gobble dots are good as well. I actually prefer the ghost ring and feel it's a superior rear sight but that's just my opinion

yella yelper

kyhareraiser

for last two seasons i've used open sights on my TC and really never even patterned it. bought the barrel used and the owner told me it was dead on so i took him at his word . sho nuff , two seasons  i tagged out  but this year i've decided to put a Bushnell circle X scope on it . the eyes seen to not be able to pick out a turkey head peeking out from behind a stump  40 yards out

mtns2hunt

Quote from: kyhareraiser on January 27, 2018, 09:04:48 AM
for last two seasons i've used open sights on my TC and really never even patterned it. bought the barrel used and the owner told me it was dead on so i took him at his word . sho nuff , two seasons  i tagged out  but this year i've decided to put a Bushnell circle X scope on it . the eyes seen to not be able to pick out a turkey head peeking out from behind a stump  40 yards out

Open sites are just a preference for me with this shotgun. Been shooting it over 30 years and added sites to it about 20 years ago. I have always been near sighted and have no issues seeing with corrective lens. My sight is 20/20 but I do have my eyes examined every year as I do a lot of work under a microscope.

Killed two turkeys in New Mexico at and over 50 yards with these open sites. I make no apolgies for the distance. Killed two in Kansas one at 25 the other at 30 so the sites work great for me. thinking of trying the Willians site recommend on this post. Nothing wrong with a scope but I do not seem to be handicapped with open sites. Will try them agian in Florida this coming March.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

jbennett

Williams Slugger all the way!! Used them for years with no problems.

mtns2hunt

Bowguy

I'd used Williams clamp on sights when they were all metal. Loved em. The fire sights are good, I like the ghost ring peep better though. If it was me that's what I'd try

mikejd