OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If given a choice....which LB

Started by rabbit59, December 28, 2023, 01:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbit59

Would you go with 3" LB #5 , 1 7/8 Oz at 1050 fps I believe or 1 1/2 Oz at 1200 and why? I'm shooting a 940 pro 18.5". Ty

Sir-diealot

Well to be honest I don't shoot #5's of any brand, my gun hates them it seems, but given that same choice in #6's I shoot 1050's all day long over the 1200's, my gun seems to pattern much better with them by far.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

ChesterCopperpot

Benefit of LongBeards is that they're cheap. Buy both, pattern both. Hunt what your gun shoots best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Definitely the 5s and would probably start with the 1-7/8 oz load to have more pellets.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BandedSpur

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on December 28, 2023, 09:15:26 PM
Benefit of LongBeards is that they're cheap. Buy both, pattern both. Hunt what your gun shoots best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^^^ This. Even started at 1050 fps, 5s have the horsepower to kill turkeys as far as anyone should be shooting at them. You can't go by what anyone else's gun will do. You must shoot them through YOUR gun and YOUR choke tube to see which patterns better for you. Good luck!

jhoward11

I shoot the 1 7/8 1050 #5 in my Mossberg 835, but agree with others. I tried both and this is what works for me and my gun.

captpete

Like other have said...shoot both. My 870 prefers the 1 3/4oz/1200 loads over the 1 7/8oz/1050 loads. 5 shot over 6's and 3" over 3 1/2". The 1 3/4oz load is just a little more even. Between the 2 loads, there is roughly 20 pellets difference.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

owlhoot

Pattern some to find out. Choose a box to try and if your happy buy some more of those.