OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New farm  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Turkeykiller12

New farm
« on: January 23, 2018, 05:22:51 PM »
Going to need all the advice and tips I can get for hunting a new farm I recently leased. There is alot of fields on the place. I am terrible at hunting field birds. What are some things you all do that helps kill a field bird?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
New farm
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 05:48:10 PM »
Hunt inside the woods 30-40 yards, make them look for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Turkeykiller12

Re: New farm
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:51:35 PM »

I done something similar to that last season on another farm and finally had some luck. 4 birds in total left the field and I luckily got one of them. First time I've had any luck in or around a field.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:57:09 PM »
Can you give me a little on your hunting style such as decoys, blind, run & gun and what size and type of fields are we talking?

here's mine kind of farms we hunt, ridges and valleys that are broken/mixed hardwoods  with ag crops, pastures = turkeys!

MK M GOBL
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:44:37 PM by MK M GOBL »

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »

I done something similar to that last season on another farm and finally had some luck. 4 birds in total left the field and I luckily got one of them. First time I've had any luck in or around a field.

I hunt a number of large fields on my father in laws farm.  Until last year it was where a good deal of my hunting was done.  I now have some woods to hunt and it is nice to be able to go and have a fun woods hunt.  Do not get me wrong, I love to hunt fields and you can learn a lot because you can actually see and watch the birds. 

You do not have to use decoys or a blind, I do not use a blind, to kill field birds.  Decoys will make things easier at times, but many times they will stay 100 yards away gobbling and strutting so you have to judge each situation on whether you should use them or not.  Hunting the woods along the fields will make the birds come looking.  Set up 30 yards in the woods cause at times they will come just up to the wood line and look for the "hen".  Some fields are hard to set up on, especially the actual field, because the spot you think is the best setup there is no good trees.  This is where a gobbler lounger has really helped me.  You can set it up where ever you need to and hunt the spot. 

Scout the area and find where the sign is.  Strut marks make it easier.  Many times field birds enter and exit the fields in the same places almost every time.  They like certain parts of a field for a reason and will usually hang in the same areas.  I can look at the time of day and usually have a good idea where a bird will be on the farm.  There are curve balls at times, but hey it is turkey hunting and they make for a good laugh.  I have had birds fly from the roost 80 yards in the middle of the field, stay there all day, and then pitch back up from that spot.  Those birds will die you just have to catch them at the right time. 

Field birds can be quite frustrating at times, but they are just a turkey. I feel that hunting field birds makes hunting woods birds easier.  You are a good hunter so stick to what you are doing, just pay attention to the closer details and make the bird come looking for you.

I am not sure if you have my number, pm if not, and I cannot make a promise that I can help, but feel free to text me with a question and I will try to answer it the best I can.  I have hunted field birds for a while.  It has come with a love/hate relationship so if I can do something to help bring one down it is as about as satisfying as me killing it myself.

Here are some of the fields I hunt:

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Turkeykiller12

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 07:32:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll get some pics of the fields I'm hunting next week when I'm off work. Both farms are being used to hold cattle. Both pieces of property are only split by a state highway but are seperate farms. Plenty of woods on both places.

Offline acalahanchar

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »
 :turkey2: :turkey2:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:31:19 PM by HARDCORE »

Offline acalahanchar

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 01:38:03 PM »
 :welcomeOG:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:31:43 PM by HARDCORE »

Offline acalahanchar