turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vest vs. Satchel

Started by aclawrence, January 20, 2018, 11:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

A men with a rocker vest, has his band with him all the time..no need for a lot of stuff in his vest with a rock band..

BottomLand54

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 21, 2018, 08:25:09 PM
A men with a rocker vest, has his band with him all the time..no need for a lot of stuff in his vest with a rock band..

:jackson: :you_rock:

compton30

Quote from: aclawrence on January 21, 2018, 05:00:03 PM
So we have one vote for Giardia and one vote for dehydration lol. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahahaha. Beautifully done.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: DrDirtNap on January 21, 2018, 04:46:48 PM
Kill 'em early and you can drink your water back at the truck

But this one time, and only one time mind you, I didn't kill one before 8am and I got real thirsty walking around looking for one that wanted to get shot.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 21, 2018, 10:51:23 PM

But this one time, and only one time mind you, I didn't kill one before 8am and I got real thirsty walking around looking for one that wanted to get shot.
i just buy some of those 5 gal buckets with those lids and fill then with water and a cup and place these around the farm.. plenty of water during turkey season...

BottomLand54

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 21, 2018, 11:18:12 PM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 21, 2018, 10:51:23 PM

i just buy some of those 5 gal buckets with those lids and fill then with water and a cup and place these around the farm.. plenty of water during turkey season...

Now I don't care who you are that's wise right thurrrrr

aclawrence

I think Greg just admitted he has a bunch of turkey watering stations set up. I've never heard of hunting turkeys over water jk!

TauntoHawk

You guys worrying about water but the morning isn't worth a darn if you don't have some hot coffee to sip as the sun comes up.. I don't go hunting for anything without coffee along
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CtRider

Quote from: TauntoHawk on January 22, 2018, 09:02:59 AM
You guys worrying about water but the morning isn't worth a darn if you don't have some hot coffee to sip as the sun comes up.. I don't go hunting for anything without coffee along
No coffee for me in the field...I'd rather do that business at home haha

Greg Massey

Quote from: CtRider on January 22, 2018, 02:03:13 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on January 22, 2018, 09:02:59 AM
No coffee for me in the field...I'd rather do that business at home haha
Nothing better than nature calling in the morning out in the woods after couple cups of coffee .. It just warms the soul.......

ddturkeyhunter

Every one has there own taste, coffee, water, pop what ever. Thats why when I am deer hunting and I going to the deer stand to sit all day I carry a Duluth Pack (you can carry the kitchen sink along so big) made for camping trips. But when turkey hunting I have been a vest guy all my life, but they do get hot a lot of times running and gunning. But now I am the new proud owner of one of Glenda satchel, #80. I do not know for sure if I will like carrying a satchel over a vest, but wanted to try one. So if you go with the best you will have for a life time, and what I am seeing it looks like they can't get much better. I am thinking of trying to hunt 4-6 different states this year so will give it a good work out.

Gobspur

To the OP.  I think you should just experiment with a lot of different systems to see what works.  I think that's what most turkey hunters have done over time.

You mention using your Kifaru backpack.  I've got a Kifaru too for elk hunting.  I'm not sure I'd want that rigid 26 inch frame strapped to my back while turkey hunting, but give it a try.  Sure you could take it off when you sit down, but sometimes when run and gunning I've got to drop to a tree quickly.  A vest has flexibility in it...not so much with the kifaru.  Now if you were hauling a blind and decoys and other gear in a mile or two to setup somewhere, well that kifaru can certainly haul it.  It'll haul a turkey too.  But throwing one over your shoulder with a turkey tote is easier.

Really comes down to your style and type of hunt, which may vary.  I mostly run and gun all day, anywhere from 1-6 miles in far off places.  I use a vest so I have room to carry water, food, rain jackets, and other lightweight crap.  Tried a satchel and just won't work.  However, on other hunts where it's not all day, no weather in forecast, and I'm going bare bones, then yeah I switch to satchel.  Or even sometimes it may just be a few calls in my pockets, gun, and chair/seat pad over my shoulder.  Doesn't have to be a static setup.  Change up your system to meet each differing hunt.

aclawrence

Hey Gobspur your right about the pack being slower. That was the main thing I disliked about it last year. My brother with the vest could set up much quicker. I have a couple vest and I was never crazy about the way the water bottle and extra clothes carried in the bottom of the vest. I haven't really liked the way that the turkey felt in the back of the vest either when carrying one back to the truck.  I imagine the vets have improved a lot though since I bought mine. I don't think I would like carrying only the satchel but I still think it would work well slung over the top of my frame.  I might need to keep a call in a pocket though if I were doing this method. Decisions decisions lol. I think I've about decided to spend most of my money on a few new calls and just roll with my vest or what I did last year for now.  With as many turkeys as I toted out last year I shouldn't be to worried about carrying one out . I'm planning to succeed this year though and bump up into the AL public land master category hahahaha.