OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Vest vs. Satchel  (Read 8164 times)

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
Vest vs. Satchel
« on: January 20, 2018, 11:40:49 PM »
Hey guys I’m thinking ahead towards turkey season and wondered what your preferred system was for lugging around your stuff.  I’ve used a vest in the past. I’ve also taken the plunge and went all in on a Kifaru backpack I’ve used for backpacking and hopefully a western hunting trip in the near future. I looked at Glenda’s satchels and they look really nice but where do you carry your seat, water, and turkey if you kill one. Do y’all actually carry the satchel with the strap?  I’m thinking about carrying my Kifaru frame which has a water bottle pocket on the belt. I could attach the seat to it and I could strap the satchel onto the frame also. Carrying a 20# bird for a couple miles would be a breeze with the backpack.  I’ll be hunting mostly wma’s this year so it will require a good bit of walking. I like the idea of the backpack for carrying extra clothes, decoys or whatever.  Do any of you carry a backpack or do you think I should stick with the regular ole turkey vest? And what about y’all satchel guys?  How do y’all like to roll in the turkey woods?  Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: Vest vs. Satchel
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 12:36:01 AM »
I use just a small hip pack, carries everything I need to run & gun. I do carry a seat on a shoulder strap and sometimes a DSD deke or two... and my camera

Don't go anywhere without my Badlands

MK M GOBL

Offline blackmagic

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 01:35:29 AM »
Ive been using this for a couple of seasons.
http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/packs/hunting-packs/little-bear

Has a game bag that can clip on.  I strap my lounger on the adjustable straps.  Also has a couple of box call pouches that can clip to the front. 

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 01:36:25 AM »
Vest for me. Throw it on and go hunting. Even have room for lunch and my extra water. Purses are for women,Or those who identify as such. :)
  I think your being selfish calling men, women if they carry a satchel.. i'm disappointed in your response, i bought one of Glenda satchel and it's way better than most vest. It has a pocket inside for a water bottle, also for carrying your turkey all you need is a paracord turkey tote, it's like folding up a piece of small lashing. For carrying your decoys all you need is a decoy bag with a strap for your shoulder and you can put a small cushion in the decoy bag. Again Happy i'm NO women at all and i take offence you calling around 100 people who have, on this site bought Glenda satchel.. A lot of us are friends with you HAPPY so again very disappointed with your name calling.. After others read your response i sure they will tell you why they like a satchel also over a vest...i have a vest and i have not problems with people who want to wear a vest.. MY OPINION ...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:30:52 AM by Greg Massey »

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 07:04:06 AM »
Ive been using this for a couple of seasons.
http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/packs/hunting-packs/little-bear

Has a game bag that can clip on.  I strap my lounger on the adjustable straps.  Also has a couple of box call pouches that can clip to the front.

X2

https://youtu.be/stXNJegwaS0

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 07:42:02 AM »
Lol I think Happy’s just giving y’all a hard time.  I actually really like the organization of the satchel I just wondered how comfortable it would be over a long period of time. I’m still interested in attaching one to my backpack. With the Paracord tote are you tossing the turkey over your shoulder and holding the Paracord in your hand?

Offline DrDirtNap

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 08:24:57 AM »
I use just a small hip pack, carries everything I need to run & gun. I do carry a seat on a shoulder strap and sometimes a DSD deke or two... and my camera

Don't go anywhere without my Badlands

MK M GOBL

MK,  that’s a neat looking camera set-up.   Tell me about your self filming set-up and in particular the tripod you are using.   Thanks

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 08:32:49 AM »
Lol I think Happy’s just giving y’all a hard time.  I actually really like the organization of the satchel I just wondered how comfortable it would be over a long period of time. I’m still interested in attaching one to my backpack. With the Paracord tote are you tossing the turkey over your shoulder and holding the Paracord in your hand?

It's the one were you can carry it over your shoulder...Paracord turkey tote...you can buy then for around 10 - 15 dollars ...

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 08:41:51 AM »
I’m a vest guy as well unless covering ground. Bought an ol’ Tom vestless shirt for this very reason. But, push comes to shove, gimme the vest. Carries everything I need and I won’t have that one single strap digging into my shoulder all day like with a satchel. Not real sure I’d want to carry a frame pack just for turkeys unless ur simply trying to get used to it for future hunts. Just my opinion tho.

Offline CtRider

Vest vs. Satchel
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 08:49:33 AM »
I’ve been a hip belt/fanny pack just because it was given to me but I’ve upgraded this year to the Rocker vest, can’t wait to use it. I’ve borrowed my buddies tactical tator and love having everything right on me. For those deep in the woods hauls or when we’re toting the struttter decoy I’ll pack em all up in my LLbean carry all frame. It’s great to keep everything contained and not flopping around. Makes hauling a bird out a piece of cake too.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 09:06:34 AM »
Glenda, satchels have a padded shoulder strap , it doesn't dig into your shoulder..it's a great satchel....That's why we ask her to build a satchel like no one has on the market...guys if you don't have or own one of her satchels you don't have a clue how nice it is and the craftsmanship ....

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 09:07:19 AM »
Vest
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 09:16:40 AM »
Greg,
It was a joke, hence the smiley face. Man people are getting touchy these days.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 09:22:17 AM »
Greg,
It was a joke, hence the smiley face. Man people are getting touchy these days.
  Well , happy i've had people texting me about what you said and they don't feel it was a joke...and what you said could affect Glenda sales.... Glenda has when way out of her way to help us turkey hunter with the satchel...maybe you shouldn't of posted...

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 09:33:33 AM »
Well my apologies if my joke offended any person. But quite Frankly i think you are giving my words way to much weight. And if someone is taking my joke as a decision on whether or not to use something well then I feel sorry for them. Let me say winchester shells are horrible and see how sales drop.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club