OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Mexico Public Turkey Hunting

Started by chmcpherson, January 20, 2018, 08:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chmcpherson

I am looking to take a trip out west this coming 2018 spring turkey season to try and kill a merriam. I am from Alabama and have hunted in the southeast and killed a good bit of eastern birds, but I'm ready to start working on my grand slam. I have done plenty of research about public hunting land out west for a merriam and believe I have decided to give the Lincoln National Forest in NM a try this year. Has anyone ever hunted this area that would be willing to give any helpful tips or general locations to start out? Any tips will be much appreciated! How different is it hunting merriams than easterns?

mufishgrad

I've never hunted the Lincoln National Forest, but there are a lot of places and public land in New Mexico for a choice. The best thing to do would be to do some map research where you plan on going, and pick a few spots out that you think there will be turkeys in case the first location or two doesn't work out. In terms of how different they are, you can use many similar strategies as Easterns on them. The biggest difference really is to lose the small woods mentality. You may have to cover a lot of ground to find where the birds are.

The Lincoln National Forest is supposed to have practically the best turkey population in the state besides maybe the Gila National Forest, but the bird densities are much lower out here per unit of forest compared to the East Coast. If you can get in an area with sign that's a start, but the difficulty with these birds is that they cover a lot of ground in a given day. Finding areas they want to be is essential, and difficult with the amount of ground you have to work with. Realistically I would mainly work with your scouting before the plane lands using maps to give you a bit of a head start and rely on sign from there.

Gooserbat

Lincoln NF is good but the northern part of the state I'd good too.  Also if you hunt in the North portion your closer to a second state if time allows.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

chmcpherson

Thanks Gooserbat and mufishgrad, that is some helpful information. I will see if I can get ahold of a good map and narrow it down to a few locations and go from there.

codym

I hunt the Lincoln, one thing I will say is get in shape it's very steep in areas and be ready to move because the birds do cover a lot of ground.

Gamblinman

Quote from: codym on January 22, 2018, 04:57:10 PM
I hunt the Lincoln, one thing I will say is get in shape it's very steep in areas and be ready to move because the birds do cover a lot of ground.

Good advise right here. If you can afford the time, arrive a couple of days early to allow your body to accustom itself for the lack of oxygen. It affects everything, especially the legs.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Panhandle_strutter

I'm from the Florida panhandle and my brother in law and myself began an annual western swing for merriams once our season here ends. The first year we went to NW Nebraska and had some success, but last year we went to South Dakota and killed 2 birds a piece in a day and a half on an Indian reservation and then bought state tags and each killed a bird the same day we bought our tags on some WIHA (6 birds in roughly 2 days). I guess what I'm saying is that if the extra distance doesn't bother you don't settle on a state this far out from season. Merriams do cover a lot of ground but theyre way more call responsive than the Easterns youre hunting in Alabama . Do some research on other states too, might be a trip of a lifetime!

joey46

Getting our plans set for a May Merriam hunt - someplace.  NM wasn't on the possibles list but we'll look into it now.  Thanks for the info posted.