OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Roll over on a pot call

Started by Grouperdawg, January 19, 2018, 11:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouperdawg

I've been turning calls for a couple years as a hobby,  I have come a long way through a lot of effort and experimentation

A lot of stuff I have figured out for my calls,  as far as my dimensions etc.  but I'm wondering what causes the roll over on a pot call

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

TN-Hunter

Here's a few things to keep in mind. The sound board aids in the roll over in the call. Get it too far away from the surface and the call will be flat. Get it too close and it will be high pitch to screechy almost and not much roll over. Get some glue in between the sound board and the inside of the pot or the sound board and the call will be flat. If you want a loud call make your holes larger. Quiet call = less holes and/or smaller holes and/or no holes.
The deeper the pot the more hollow sound the call will produce. Thinner the pedestal the more rasp the call will produce if you did everything else right.
If you want a decent sounding 3" call don't make the pot real deep and keep the sound board close to the underside of the top surface. Slate, Glass, and Aluminum keep the bottom of the pot about 1/4" thick for a 3" surface. For a 3.5" surface it doesn't matter the thickness of the bottom and yes I can prove that. Rule of thumb is 3.5" surface use a 3" sound board and on the 3" surfaces use a 2.5" sound board. If you want the call to have a low sounding pitch use a heavy striker and if you want the sound to be higher pitched then lighten the weight of your striker. The harder the sound board material the sharper the yelps will be as in faster roll over assuming you did everything else right. Wood and slate sound boards will mellow the yelps out or in other words slow the roll over down

Grouperdawg

Thanks for detailing that,  that is an excellent summary and could be printed out as a sticky,  great info there!

Maybe nothing in the call design causes the roll over,  it just helps or hinders depending on the dimensions.  I had a theory that the open space between the sound board and the wall is what causes the roll over but probably not.

KentuckyHeadhunter

That answer is from another forum back in 2011 by Larry Gresser.  Word for word. He just copied and pasted it.  I wouldn't make it a sticky for that reason.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

KentuckyHeadhunter

Grouperdawg

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on January 26, 2018, 06:06:22 AM
That answer is from another forum back in 2011 by Larry Gresser.  Word for word. He just copied and pasted it.  I wouldn't make it a sticky for that reason.

Yes I'm  pretty sure I've read every thread in the whole forum :0.  Assumed it was the same person,  but I meant to print out a physical sticky for the wood shop,  I worded it wrong  I guess

KentuckyHeadhunter

I do agree though that it's a very concise and well explained answer.  It does make a good "shop sticky"  :turkey2:

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field