turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Build for daughter

Started by dgdukefan, January 19, 2018, 09:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdukefan

I want to put together a gun for my daughter. Looking at a 870 and putting a kicklite stock on it. She is 10 years old and sensitive to recoil. What does everyone think. What scope/sight,choke,loads? Anyone have experience with the kicklite stocks?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dgdukefan

Sorry just realized I posted this in wrong section

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SumToy

The HV13 dont kick that bad.  Now some of the tss you can get in smaller loads that will help with recoil.  Now the sight we see alot of burris or vortex but they are little $$$$.

choke in ours would be 562
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Bowguy

My daughters were little when they started and for turkeys we'd use a Remington 11-87 20 ga. This would kick less both because of the action and the weight.
When we had to carry guns my younger daughter had a tough time w it and it was hard to hold up so something to rest on is great and I just carried it when she got tired. 
Advantages to both pumps and semis especially w little girls. You need to decide what is best in your case.
I also don't personally recommend super tight turkey chokes. You're prob not gonna let her shoot at 40 so why choke the gun so it shoots at 40 and is easy to miss w at 10.
I tried to keep the kids shots close.

Bowguy

Far as sights, a scope could get her. We wanna grow the kids not see what they can take. Iron sights could be hard to line up. I'd recommend a simple bead or red dot. Either one is quick and easy.
Now another thing I did was pattern and sight the gun with no kids around.
They only shot light target loads practicing. I used heavyweight 7 or federal Magshot. I'd not be afraid of any load as long as it was forgiving.
Make it too hard and she keeps missing, well she'll prob start not going.
I used mod chokes, eventually as they got older and stronger things changed.
Remember to keep it fun, go at only her pace.  She's ready to go home, go home. Keep things fun

Deast1988

Redot sight for sure,
Get her shooting handicap skeet loads at empty coke cans hung at various yardage at different angles so she gets use to swinging aiming shooting.

Apex TSS has a 2 3/4in #9 load that should wreck one.

Federal has a 2 3/4in #7 reduced load if you can find it, both those if you find sweet spot could rival a load of 12s out to 40yds. But being a young hunter, factory full could do it out to 30 with some wiggle room.

My 870 shoots a TruLock #7 choke awesome.

Bowguy

Make sure whatever shot you use and especially what size are legal where you're hunting. Lots of guys recommend sizes that would be illegal in the two states I regularly hunt. Check to be sure

Ozark

I don't know if you already decided but for a 10 year old girl.
Can't beat a 410 with TSS.
Federal .410 TSS is available at Rogers Sporting goods on-line right now.
.410 and 9 shot might both be illegal depending on the state, so make sure to check.
Ozark