OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Info for those hunting Iowa  (Read 3299 times)

Online captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Info for those hunting Iowa
« on: January 18, 2018, 05:31:14 PM »
In one of the threads about the new Federal TSS shell, someone quoted the shot size regulations for Iowa. When I read it I realized that it didn't list 7 shot as a size that was legal for wild Turkeys. Here is a partial quote of the regs: "shotguns shooting number 4, 5, 6, 7 1/2 or 8 lead or nontoxic shot. Number 2 or 3 nontoxic shot may also be used. Hunters may not have shot sizes other than those listed above on their person while hunting turkeys."

It made me wonder if this was just an error and 7 was left out or what. I emailed the DNR and asked if it was an error/omission. Here is the response that I received.

"Mr. Peterson,

Thank you for your inquiry with the Iowa DNR.

Actually this is not a clerical error as size 7 shot is not listed as an approved shot size for hunting wild turkey in Iowa.  I have attached the relevant Iowa Administrative Code Chapter 571.98 with the language highlighted in yellow.

After doing some research I was told that size 7 shot is a fairly recent option and was not in existence at the time this law was written.  I have brought it to the attention of my superiors and we are reviewing the language as shot sizes and materials have evolved faster than the law.  We will look at making changes to clean up this chapter.

Until such time as this changes, #7 shot is NOT legal for wild turkey hunting in Iowa.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at this email address or the cell phone listed below or you may contact your local State Conservation Officer Dakota Drish at 563-920-0566.

Brian L. Smith | SW District 3 Law Enforcement Supervisor
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
C 712-254-0550 | 57744 Lewis RD Lewis, IA 51544
www.iowadnr.gov

I then asked him if he had an idea of when it may get changed. His response was that he was re-wording it today, but does not have a time frame for the change, because it will have to go through a public hearing. 

I'm guessing not a lot of people realize or know that you can't shoot 7 shot for turkeys, whether it be HW7, Hevi-13 7's and for that matter Mag-Blend or Triple Beard shells.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Info for those hunting Iowa
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 09:16:36 PM »
I would probably argue myself right into jail over that one if they pushed it..

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:35:22 PM »
I agree with how you feel sometimes laws don’t make much sense.
I actually went to an open discussion last year that the Iowa DNR held. They listen to complaints from hunters and trappers about what some of the laws that might need changed or left alone.It was interesting and one thing that changed this year was being able to use straight walled rifle cartridges for deer hunting. If enough people voice a legitimate complaint or solution to a problem it can get changed so I encourage people to go If they want to see changes in the laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:53:12 PM by Chris O »

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:34:22 PM »
I agree with how you feel sometimes laws don’t make much sense.
I actually went to an open discussion last year that the Iowa DNR held. They listen to complaints from hunters and trappers about what some of the laws that might need changed or left alone.It was interesting and one thing that changed this year was being able to use straight walled rifle cartridges for deer hunting. If enough people voice a legitimate complaint or solution to a problem it can get changed so I encourage people to go If they want to see changes in the laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a friend that talked to a DNR about the straight wall jacket shells and deer hunting and the DNR person said they would have a problem with anyone using them. How I don't know. It's in the manual. I guess it's like being able to use 6 and 7.5 shot,but not 6.5 or 7 because it's not written as such...sometimes something that should be common sense isn't I guess. Lol...

Offline TalksToTurkeys

• Longbeard
  • Lycoming Co. Pa.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »
It would make more sense to change the law to specify the minimum and maximum shot sizes rather than trying to list every legal size. ::)

Offline tree-rat sniper

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 01:15:42 AM »
Hmmm... good thing I didn't connect this fall!
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Online captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 07:13:45 AM »
Received another email and it said that they are working on the re-wording now, but it will probably be spring of 2019 before it takes effect.

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 11:48:14 AM »
Silliness! Hard to believe even the most by the book warden would write a ticket for using 7's or Mag blend. Wow....
Good info though.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »
Hopefully like another member said they will state the maximum  to minimum size allowed and add size #9 for the guys that want to shoot tss... Captpete  Do they even have a clue what turkey loads and material are out on the market?

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 03:50:14 PM »
It has gotten more variety than it used to. For the longest time it was only 4,5,or6 shot then a buddy bought some blended ammo with 7 1/2 shot and I told him it wouldn’t be legal and he said it was in the regulation so I had to see it for myself.that was only a few years ago I am not sure when they changed it for sure. I always wanted to try some steel shot with the bigger bb’s like 1 or 2 shot or even T shot I have killed some geese with these loads but they aren’t legal for turkeys either. I wish we could use a 28 ga also but we will probably never get a chance to do that.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 05:37:14 PM »
It has gotten more variety than it used to. For the longest time it was only 4,5,or6 shot then a buddy bought some blended ammo with 7 1/2 shot and I told him it wouldn’t be legal and he said it was in the regulation so I had to see it for myself.that was only a few years ago I am not sure when they changed it for sure. I always wanted to try some steel shot with the bigger bb’s like 1 or 2 shot or even T shot I have killed some geese with these loads but they aren’t legal for turkeys either. I wish we could use a 28 ga also but we will probably never get a chance to do that.
In my opinion and you'll probably get a dozen others,but when I first started turkey hunting it was 4 shot I liked then 5 then 6 then 7.5 Lol..The more turkey hunting ,evolution of turkey ammo,researching and patterning I did ....I realized i like pattern density ..I think T shot and #2s even mixed in with something else would be a horrible load(kind of like sending a hail mary down the field)and that's only my opinion..

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 05:43:41 PM »
In my opinion and you'll probably get a dozen others,but when I first started turkey hunting it was 4 shot I liked then 5 then 6 then 7.5 Lol..The more turkey hunting ,evolution of turkey ammo,researching and patterning I did ....I realized i like pattern density ..I think T shot and #2s even mixed in with something else would be a horrible load(kind of like sending a hail mary down the field)and that's only my opinion..
Yes I would have patterned the loads before I hunted with it and I might have been terribly disappointed with them but I would like the option if they would have patterned well. I have always been a 5 or 6 shot guy and will probably never stray away from them.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 06:09:48 PM »
Another State DNR that is over regulating hunting by being TO SPECIFIC!  I think you could go to court and beat a ticket with 7's, since they allow 7 1/2 and 8 shot which is smaller than 7's.  Our state law just says, no shot size larger than #4's.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:45:06 PM by bbcoach »

Online captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 06:31:26 PM »
... Captpete  Do they even have a clue what turkey loads and material are out on the market?

I'm not sure if they do or not, but in the email he says "shot sizes and materials have evolved faster than the law."

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
Another State DNR that is over regulating hunting by being TO SPECIFIC!  I think you could go to court and beat a ticket with 7's, since they allow 7 1/2 and 8 shot which is smaller than 7's.  Our state law just says, no shot size larger than #4's.
I'll let you know if I get checked...  :funnyturkey: Shooting Htl some of it is probably 7.5 and some might be 6 with all the odd shaped pellets. Lol..