OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New to Trumpets

Started by rbreedi1, January 17, 2018, 03:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbreedi1

Never owned or used one. Would like to add one to my calling arsenal, where should I start?
Thunder Ridge Totes

merocustomcalls

I'd be happy to help you out.  The trumpet can be an extremely effective call in the woods.  Many that use them frequently prefer them over most other types of calls, myself included.  There are many great trumpet makers on this site. 

worth612000

I started with one of Brian's trumpets (Merocustomcalls) Very easy to get started on, He used to have an instructional video that helped me. I really like the tone and roll over on his trumpets.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I would jump on that offer from Brian Mero.  His calls are great and he doesn't charge enough money for them.  He wants you to kill turkeys with them and they are competition proven.  And he's a great and humble guy.  Get one and practice, practice, practice. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

worth612000

Well Said Kentucky Headhunter. You can find videos on YouTube to help you get stared , but should anyone want mine Brian gave me give me a shout.

Chris O

I am new to suction type calls also but I feel I sound pretty descent now. A couple things helped me and that was criticism and coaching from a couple guys and recording myself with my phone so I could actually hear myself playing. I have really enjoyed learning to play them and I will get great satisfaction when I kill my first turkey with one

misfire

A few things to keep in mind. 1) what you hear is not what it sounds like 30yds or 400yds away. Even if it doesn't sound good to your ear, distance makes a difference. 2) less is more. It's not about drawing air heavily through the call
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Terry

All good advice so far.  Practice is the most important thing. I was relentless when I first started on a trumpet. I can kill turkeys now,  but I still have LONG ways to go before I have trumpets perfected.

Brian Mero trumpets are always what I reccomend for beginners. Great combination of ease of play, quality, and availability.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

guesswho

Word of caution.   They are addictive.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

rbreedi1

Thanks for all the advice here and PMs, keep it coming! I've checked out Brian's and a few others recommended. I'll be getting one soon, excited to try something new.
Thunder Ridge Totes

richard black

Anthony Ellis of AGE Trumpets. His trumpets are easy to run and proven killers. I own 5 of his trumpets and I highly recommend them all. His 'Chibouk' style is also unique and easy to use.

EZ

Quote from: rbreedi1 on January 18, 2018, 08:43:13 AM
Thanks for all the advice here and PMs, keep it coming! I've checked out Brian's and a few others recommended. I'll be getting one soon, excited to try something new.

You'll be like a kid in a candy store once you get into trumpets, wingbones and jordans. Do yourself a favor and slip one into your vest this spring. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

ericjames

Quote from: misfire on January 17, 2018, 11:02:15 PM
A few things to keep in mind. 1) what you hear is not what it sounds like 30yds or 400yds away. Even if it doesn't sound good to your ear, distance makes a difference. 2) less is more. It's not about drawing air heavily through the call
Your calls sound good to the ear also. Mr. Lee is a great stand up guy that sells some amazing sounding calls. There not bad on the eyes either.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

EZ

Quote from: ericjames on January 23, 2018, 09:26:21 PM
Your calls sound good to the ear also. Mr. Lee is a great stand up guy that sells some amazing sounding calls. There not bad on the eyes either.

I agree with that statement 100%.

Chris O

Quote from: EZ on January 24, 2018, 12:27:19 PM
Quote from: ericjames on January 23, 2018, 09:26:21 PM

I agree with that statement 100%.
x3