OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Merriams Outfitter Recommendations

Started by Hunter13, January 17, 2018, 02:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter13

Everyone,

I'm in the process of booking a merriams hunt this spring in hopes of completing my slam.  The merriams is the final species on the list for me.  I've done a lot of research on this subject in the past and to be very honest there isn't a lot of outfitter reviews out there for merriams turkey hunts. We are only interested in hunting with an outfitter as we don't feel we have enough time to truly enjoy a DIY hunt(3-4 days max). Below is a few things I'm particularly interested in.  I appreciate any help that can be provided.

1.  Most importantly, is an honest outfitter.
2.  I'm familiar with the fact that the "pure strain" merriams originated in NM, CO, and AZ.  We are open to hunting any of these states, however my understanding is that NM, and CO could be high altitude hunts and the gentlemen going with me isn't physically able to do a lot of climbing, therefore I don't know if this would be a viable option.  It does appear that western SD, and eastern WY birds show a lot of characteristics of pure strain merriams even though they aren't.
3. We prefer a state where we can take multiple birds(WY was a favorite, however 1 bird only).

Thank you for your help with this.

mtns2hunt

I hunted Northern New Mexico with Tri State out fitters run by a guy named Bridger. Killed two birds: one on the mountain and the other in a field at lower elevation. The ranch consisted of 300,000 acres and the main road ran through it for 17 miles. They can accommodate anyone as the terrain varies from Mtns  to flatland with river bottoms. I am not sure how they are currently booking. But know they book about 12 hunters a year. Awesome accommodations and they have the best cook I have come across in a long time. He is also the ranch historian. Always worth checking with these folks to see if they have an opening or two. If they don't I would search for a ranch in this area or ask Bridger or his wife for a recommendation. I have posted a review of this hunt on this forum. Normally comes up under tri state. Good luck
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Hunter13

Thank you for the feedback! Based on other posts I've seen on here, it sounds like this is a very reputable outfitter. Unfortunately, based on posts I've read, it sounds like they may be booked up for the next 2 years.

joey46

For whatever reason I receive Field and Stream on line newsletter by e mail.  This morning there was a very timely article on Merriam hunting in the Black Hills NF (SD, WY, and NE).   This guy describes the type of public land hunt we may try at the end of the WY season in May.  The snow part was a little scary but it is what it is as they say.  Good luck.  Keep us posted on what you are finding out.   

LI Outdoorsman

I hunted Wyoming with Trophy Ridge Outfitters to get my wife a Merriams to complete her World Slam.
We both took nice birds the first morning and spent the next few days driving everywhere and sight seeing.
We visited Deadwood, Mt.Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Monument but the most awe inspiring was Devils Tower!
I highly reccommend this outfitter and this trip!

tried to post pics but not computer savvy enough to reduce file size sorry

Hunter13

Trophy Ridge is at the top of our list.  I've spoke with Ralph several times.  The only reason we haven't already committed to this hunt, is that we wanted to do a multi bird hunt and unfortunately this section of WY is only one bird according to Ralph.  If it weren't for that we would've already booked with him.  It sounds like they run a great operation and seeing a lot of turkeys is the norm.

thank you for your response.

Mossberg835

I second trophy ridge.  I was in a group of 8 that hunted with him a few years ago. We all got our birds the first morning except one and he got his the next morning. Great place and people and beautiful country to see.

Hunter13

Does anyone have any feedback on Wyoming's Finest Outfitters or High Prairie Lodge & Outfitters? Wyoming's Finest caught our attention only bc there is a 2 bird limit in that section of WY.  High Prairie Lodge appears to be in the Black Hills of SD so I'm thinking there should be a good population of birds, specifically birds that more closely resemble the white tips associated with Merriams.

As a side note, Nelson's would be a potential possibility if it weren't for now only. They to are in the area that allows 2. Their response time was great and they seem to be good people. I'm open to bow only, but the gentleman coming with me isn't.

fountain2

I've hunted at Nelson.  I love it and Dave has the birds.  It's a beautiful place and Dave and Jan are great people.   I love it out there.   My wife and I have been twice.   They, too, will likely be books for 2 years out

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Hunter13 on January 17, 2018, 11:30:14 PM
Thank you for the feedback! Based on other posts I've seen on here, it sounds like this is a very reputable outfitter. Unfortunately, based on posts I've read, it sounds like they may be booked up for the next 2 years.

It would never hurt to send an e-mail to Bridger. Who knows he may decide to host more hunters, have a slot open. This is such a good hunt it is worth a try. I am going back but not for turkey.

Hunter13

Mtns2hunt, I was thinking the same thing today so I called and left a VM as well as sent an email just now. Like you said, it can't hurt to ask. I'm not sure what pricing may be for this hunt, but we would likely book if he had anything. New Mexico checks off another box for us in that we are avid predator hunters and NM is know to be a great state for predator hunting so we would include this in our trip.

Bowhunter123224

Blue Mountain Outfitters in New Mexico. I hunted with him in 2013. 2 out of 3 killed birds and it should have been 3 out of 3 but the one guy didn't see the long beard that came in silent. You can kill 2 birds and they offer both a private and public land option depending on how much you want to spend. Includes 4 days of actual hunting and meals and lodging. The areas we hunted wasn't really at altitude only around 5000' which most don't feel the effects till closer to 10,000'. Bob the owner and Guide is a great guy and a straight shooter. I keep in touch with him every year at the sportsman's show in Harrisburg, PA. I attached a photo of the ones we harvested.

ElkTurkMan

S&D outfitters in Howes South Dakota. Cody and Denise are awesome folks with good ground and a lot of true Merriam's.

joey46

One more bump and I'm ready for the banquet.  Thanks for the info.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: ElkTurkMan on January 21, 2018, 08:33:07 PM
S&D outfitters in Howes South Dakota. Cody and Denise are awesome folks with good ground and a lot of true Merriam's.

Is C&D on Marcus Rd? Have been looking at them for a deer hunt. They do have nice turkey pictures tho.