OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Forcing Cone Lengthening  (Read 4087 times)

Offline 243kid

Forcing Cone Lengthening
« on: January 17, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »
I am considering sending my SBE2 to Rob Roberts to have the forcing cone lengthened.

What are people's opinions of this?
Worth the money or not?
Did the gun shoot that much better or worse?

Offline obro

Re: Forcing Cone Lengthening
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »
I would probably save my money or get a trigger job . Yes I have had it done . I did not see enough difference to justify it .

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 01:00:59 PM »
Years ago Mark Basner was the shotgun man. He did a few guns for me and they instantly picked up some density.
Many guns already have some sort built in although it comes in dif names.
Today's loads are better and more consistant. I've never tested side by side before/after simply because I did so well years ago buying a gun without it for turkeys isn't gonna happen.
As I said I've not presently tested any of this so I could be wrong. Maybe someone has more current testing

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 03:38:41 PM »
My thoughts on cone lengthening are for the slight gain you may achieve there are no guarantees that it won't do worse. Me I'd pass and spend the funds on better ammo. 

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 04:01:54 PM »
No benefit to my 870 or the Benelli I had.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »
we do but in my opinion unless you shoot lead it dont help much.   Now with recoil it will help but most he auto guns not bad anyways.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 08:34:17 PM »
Had mine done buy our gunsmith shop, they lengthened forcing cone, backbored and polished the bore/barrel. This made a big difference from it's original configuration as far as pattern and density.

Originally I talked to our gunsmith about wanting to build a dedicated "turkey gun" (First one they had ever done). I purchased a used 11-87Special Purpose Walnut we took in on trade. The gun shot high right when I got it and was looking at options. Part of this was a call to REM. on the guns POI/POA being off so much... I was told the gun was designed for "wing shooting" not for shooting a standing target.

This all lead me to the rest of the customizing, I did a barrel change to a cantilever "slug" barrel with RemChoke (I wanted scope on gun) the stock was changed to a cheek piece walnut from a 11-87 Slug Gun to work with the  scope and then it was sent to Briley for a custom Turkey Choke, also went to ColorWorks for a camo dip (all they could do back then was metals). This was all done back in the early 90's as part of a deal with our stores Gun Smith Shop Services (Price was right!), a few years ago I found a deal on a ShurShot stock and changed out to that.

Here's how she is today and has a pile of birds under her belt :)

MK M GOBL

Dgroves

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 11:18:49 AM »
I've had 2 sb2 done 24in and 26 rob Roberts did 24 mayb picked up a few pellets the 26in I sent to rhino it helped it more but if I had to do it over again I would prob just let rhino do a trigger job and buy better ammo! I did have both triggers worked why I was there and rhino did do better job on it! Just my personal experience hope it helps some!

Dgroves

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 11:21:22 AM »
I would say sumtoy would do u a great job as well!

Offline chow hound

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 05:00:23 PM »
I am puzzled by the claims that lengthening the forcing cone would reduce recoil.  The only way that would happen is if the pressure was lowered and the velocity was decreased - which would not be a good thing.  What am I missing?

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 05:38:36 PM »
It will help with felt recoil
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline chow hound

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 06:03:10 PM »
It will help with felt recoil

Why would that be?

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 09:19:25 AM »
You have a longer taper to go from the chamber to the bore. 

Offline chow hound

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
I don't want to argue about this, but that doesn't mean anything.  This just sounds like an old wives tale that is widely accepted because it has been repeated so many times and has no science behind it.  If anything, having a shorter forcing cone would have the impact of asserting force on the gun as the shot compresses together, which would be in the direction of pulling the gun away from your shoulder and lowering recoil.  The only other way a longer forcing cone would lower recoil is if it lowers velocity.  I may be missing something and would welcome someone to explain the science.

Offline turkeyinstrut

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »
I have had it done on several guns and it made very little difference in any of them, spend that money on some TSS ammo from Apex and that will make er' shoot.