OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: First out of state hunt in Ohio  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Hughesjr60

First out of state hunt in Ohio
« on: January 16, 2018, 09:21:43 PM »
Hey All getting closer to that time of year! I live and hunt in Eastern Indiana. Like most of you I wish my season was longer. Recently I was telling my brother just how much more fun turkey hunting is that’s deer. He has never been turkey hunting. To make a long story short, he has decided he wants to try it this year and go with me. So I am going to take him on his first turkey hunt in Ohio, where he lives. This will be my first time to ever hunt out of my home state. We are planning on 3-4 days camping/hunting. I’m going to call some state biologists on places we plan to hunt but just wondered if any of you might have any good or bad info on public places to hunt in Ohio. I’ve been scouting maps. So far I am looking at Deer Creek wildlife area because my bro lives close in Grove City. I have also been looking at the Salt Fork area. Any advice or experience at these places would be great. Right now looking like we are going May 10th time frame. Thanks guys

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: First out of state hunt in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 11:06:07 PM »
I live fairly close to salt fork. I know there's birds there but other than that I can't tell you because I don't mess with public very much.

Offline Hughesjr60

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:45:55 PM »
 That’s OK I appreciate the response!

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »
Check out the Wayne National Forest.  Lots of public ground and lots of birds.  I hunted a few WMA's in Ohio last year and had a great time.  Took my first true public ground bird.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 08:28:26 AM »
Do not plan your hunt for Deer Creek, that is mostly farm land and good for Ringnecks, but not turkeys. Salt Fork is a good area or head south from Grove city. Around Chillicothe, portsmouth and Jackson are several state forest. wayne NF in jackson county has a good bird population, but more hunting pressure as well. If you'd be interested in a semi guided hunt for reasonable price check these guys out. They own 10,000+ acres and a camp ground. They are personal friends and they have the birds and are great people. If you book with them they will put you on birds.

http://www.sunfishvalleywhitetails.com/turkeypage.html

Offline Hughesjr60

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 07:57:20 PM »
Thanks for the info. I finally talked my brother into burr oak. We are going to camp there and it is looking like there will be many close opportunities from there to hunt. We are actually going to go down the first of April to mark some gps locations and get a little familiar with the area. I will check out the site, thanks! We aren’t going until May 16. I hope to avoid pressure by going late but I know the birds will be much tougher but I’m doing this to give my brother his first turkey hunting experience and my first out of state hunt and this extends my season a week!

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 06:00:05 PM »
Hughesjr60, May 16th is pretty darn late for southern Ohio. On public land around Burr Oak you will definitely be hunting spooky birds, not to mention most of the active gobblers will be dead. Best of luck, but I'd recommend rethinking that date. If all you want is a trip away from home that will work, but if you actually want to kill gobblers your handy-capping yourself. Our southern Ohio birds are pretty much shut down by the last few days of season. You'll hear a little early morning gobbling then silence. The one good point is the birds that are still gobbling are usually the big ole boys.

Offline Hughesjr60

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 04:37:54 PM »
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. May have to go a little earlier then

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 11:24:07 AM »
IMO you can't beat an out of home state hunt.  It's exciting to chase birds, with family and friends, in different states and in different terrain.  I can't help with hunting southern Ohio.  As stated earlier, hunting the first couple of weeks of the season in any state is best because birds haven't been called to much and most of the gobblers are looking for hens.  Snow or lots of rain can cause this to change but generally try to hunt early.  Good Luck but remember it's not about bagging a bird, it's about the experience you'll have with family and friends!

Offline Hughesjr60

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »
Thanks! That’s what I’m all about. In my home state of Indiana I’ll hopefully bag my bird quick like the last couple years. Then I spend the rest of the season trying to get my son one. He is 6 and says he loves it. He actually shot and missed when he was 4. Memories I’ll have forever and he will too. I’m going to Ohio to extend my season but the main reason is to spend time with my brother camping and hunting. He has never even heard a wild turkey gobble. If he can get one great! If not I know we will still have fun. I absolutely love turkeys! I will add, my 6 year old did kill his first deer this year! His response to me: “Dad, I’ll remember this forever!” That was awesome

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 01:05:27 PM »
Check out the American Power Corp lands out east of McConnellsville.  Free camping, lots of birds. 

You'll have to register at the office in McConnellsville.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline Hughesjr60

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 09:49:58 PM »
Will do! Thanks!