OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Caldwell Lead Sled  (Read 3503 times)

Offline 243kid

Caldwell Lead Sled
« on: January 15, 2018, 11:35:33 PM »
I want to pattern some different shells this spring but dread the recoil of 3.5" mags!

Just wondering if anyone tried a lead sled and how did it work?

Offline BandedSpur

Re: Caldwell Lead Sled
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
They work great and take a lot of pain out of shooting those cannons. Be advised though that that pain has to go somewhere. With a sled, it goes to your gun. There have been many reports of gun damage caused by sleds. Guns are designed to recoil into your shoulder. The sled prevents that. If the gun cannot recoil rearward, the stock, bolt, bolt stop, etc. take a severe pounding. When I use one, I don't load it down with lead, but let it move some on the bench. The sled itself weighs around 15 pounds which will soak up a lot, but not all of the recoil.

Also be advised, that your POI out of the sled may be somewhat different than the POI off your shoulder. Also, IME, patterns are slightly better off my shoulder vs the sled.

Offline DrDirtNap

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:40:43 AM »
I’ve used my sled for years and have never had any issues with gun damage from the sled.  Just curious, how could the sled affect the pattern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bigeclipse

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:42:13 AM »
I’ve used my sled for years and have never had any issues with gun damage from the sled.  Just curious, how could the sled affect the pattern?

You might be getting the faintest damage (hairline cracking) that you do not realize. I used one for years until my friend shared a video with me of sleds with magnum loaded rifles and shotguns. it is amazing the flex you see in the firearms stocks in those videos. I am not joking....like crazy amount of flex and stress put on the stock. I no longer use one and just suck up the abuse on my shoulder. I'm not about to chance ruining an expensive rifle stock to prevent some shoulder bruising. I now just shoot a few shots until I cant take it and stop. I can always go shooting another day. Just my two cents.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 03:13:14 PM »
It wouldn't bother me to use one.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »

You might be getting the faintest damage (hairline cracking) that you do not realize. I used one for years until my friend shared a video with me of sleds with magnum loaded rifles and shotguns. it is amazing the flex you see in the firearms stocks in those videos. I am not joking....like crazy amount of flex and stress put on the stock. I no longer use one and just suck up the abuse on my shoulder. I'm not about to chance ruining an expensive rifle stock to prevent some shoulder bruising. I now just shoot a few shots until I cant take it and stop. I can always go shooting another day. Just my two cents.
We take a piece of foam and place it between the stock and sled at the back...

Offline Fl strutter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 04:31:25 PM »
I take a small couch pillow and stick it between butt and shoulder. Definitely reduces the pain.

Offline WisTurk

• Southeast WI
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 04:42:04 PM »
I've been using one for a few years now.  Just the sled itself, no added weights.  I mainly use it to reduce my own errors when shooting and it's worked out just fine for me

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 06:32:33 PM »
Just a thought but if you dread the recoil that much you may want to step down to a 3" load. Don't want to develop a bad flinch.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 06:45:49 PM »
I have a BenchMaster and been used with all my guns and never a issue in the last 25 years, it has 50lbs of lead on it. Mine may be different than a lead sled but I still feel recoil but it is reduced, I weigh 165, and with lead guess that would be same as if I weighed 215... I have no POI issues and sight turkey gun in dead-on at 15yards.

MK M GOBL

Offline strutstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 10:21:01 PM »
Several years ago I shot about 20 or 25 3 1/2 inch Winchester supremes in one sitting out of a lead sled with my 870. I was testing several chokes and then sighted in my scope. The whole time I had the tray on the sled filled with sand bags and kept a small sand bag between my shoulder and the sled. I couldn't imagine shooting that many times without a sled. We use it every year to check zero on all of our guns and have never had any issues.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 08:34:56 AM »

Same way it affects group size and POI with rifles. Anything that affects the way the gun recoils will affect barrel harmonics.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 07:31:30 AM »

Same way it affects group size and POI with rifles. Anything that affects the way the gun recoils will affect barrel harmonics.

I have a lead sled, a primos group therapy rest system and an old rest of similar design I can't remember the brand and have never seen poi changes with any of them shooting rifles or shotguns.  Point of fact they do if anytbing, take the human factor out of firing a rifle or shotgun, improving accuracy.    The only thing I can see affecting accuracy is if you were to rest the barrel on the front yoke directly.   That I know will change poi high.  Because I have personally seen stock AND optics damage firing from a rest of this type from not allowing the rifle to move at all during firing with heavy recoiling rounds, I now always place a piece of medium density closed cell foam between the buttstock and the rest to allow for some movement of the firearm.  I use mine mainly for checking zero and load work up but have used it just to see if it was the rifle or the shooter.  Every time for me it's been the shooter.  If you have a flinch, (and boy does my stepson have a flinch!), you'll see it quickly on a lead sled.  I pattern more than most and doubt I wouldn't develop at least some flinch without a solid, recoil reducing rest and I've shot some pretty serious stuff in my life up to and including "elephant guns" and single shot .50 BMG rifles witnout issue...well...not a lot of issues. Lol. Point is, use them correctly and they are a valuable tool to shooting accurately and well.  Use them incorrectly and they could cost you money.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 06:18:51 PM »
I love mine & have had no problems using it. Testing turkey loads is bloody murder on my neck & shoulders. With the Lead Sled it's no problem at all. Honestly I think it floated down from heaven above with with angel wings on it.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »
I don't disagree with the above two posts, and am not disparaging the use of a sled. I use mine all the time. Currently working up an elk load for my muzzleloader. Have fired about forty rounds so far from the sled. My shoulder would be pulp by now if not using it, and yes it does eliminate flinching and shooter induced errors.