OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Public land pressure

Started by jakesdad, January 15, 2018, 08:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hersh

I hunt mostly public land in Michigan and Indiana. Usually don't run into very many hunter except on the weekends. Most guys are very courteous and won't hunt on top of you. But every now and then you'll run into some guy that won't be denied his "spot". If I see a truck in a parking lot I'll head to the next one. Fortunately I've done this a while and have a lot of backup spots.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: BottomLand54 on January 17, 2018, 09:45:51 AM
i have wandered myself how public land is, this is a good read. I personally have never hunted any Public land (game land in NC is what we call it). I have thought about giving some of the national forest and game lands aka public land a try though. I just dont want to waste an hour and half driving to a place to find 60 trucks and 120 hunters blowing crow calls, and cranking down on box calls all day. :character0029: :TrainWreck1:
I understand not wanting to waste good turkey hunting time, but you should really try it sometime. The reason for it, because its different. If its over crowded you will appreciate the area you hunt now, and it is so sweet if you harvest a bird knowing there are so many hunters after them.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: BottomLand54 on January 17, 2018, 09:45:51 AM
i have wandered myself how public land is, this is a good read. I personally have never hunted any Public land (game land in NC is what we call it). I have thought about giving some of the national forest and game lands aka public land a try though. I just dont want to waste an hour and half driving to a place to find 60 trucks and 120 hunters blowing crow calls, and cranking down on box calls all day. :character0029: :TrainWreck1:

Give NF land a shot sometime. The best thing about some public land is the sheer acreage you have to roam and imo that means opportunity to work more birds.

If you go during the week and hunt an area with difficult access you might be surprised at how few people are in there.

buzzardroost

The first two weeks of the TN season is crazy on public land where I live. I'm right on the KY border so Kentuckians flood in while there season isnt open. I try to just hunt private those first two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double B

National Forest lands don't seem as crowded as smaller wma's due to the sheer acreage involved.  But the smaller tracts can be good too.  You need to scout and hunt several spots in my opinion and have backup plans if it does get crowded.  Over the years you should be able to develop more and more options as you get to know the land.  I enjoy our public lands, there are some drawbacks but the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Followed by buzzards

tha bugman

I just consider myself to be part of the pressure, to be absent from it would mean I would not be hunting.

quavers59

I also hunt only public land. I have a number of spots that are 1 1/4 miles from the nearest parking area.

mtns2hunt

Haven't hunted public land for a couple years now. However, a good topo to study the terrain and then some boots on the ground usually gets results. Almost always hunt last few weeks of season and hardly ever see anyone. If I get onto a bird great, if not, I'm sure to find some mushrooms and there is nothing like being in the mountains in the Spring.

In regards to out of state'rs: not a problem with a couple of million acres to hunt I don't mind sharing. Probably never see them again anyway.

Did have an experience with some out of state hunters once while deer hunting. Entered at one point and was leaving at another when I ran into a guy. Talked to him and he said he was the cook for a group of funeral directors that were hunting the area. Ask me to turn down the Chilly he had on the stove when I passed their camp. I did but it really gave me the creeps. LOL
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Bowhunter123224

I've hunted public lands in Florida, West Virginia, and New Mexico. By far the highest pressure was Florida. I seen other hunters every day of the ten days I hunted. Next to that would be PA and then WV then NM. In my home state of PA I am seeing more and more hunters every year on public land. Either the word is getting out that the hunting isn't half bad or more and more people are loosing their private land access. I'd bank on the latter. As far as non residents go you'd think being a hunter that's hunted a few different states and is actively working on plans for others I'd be more welcoming but I'm not. While I'm not going to tell them to go back home I'm also not going to help them, and I'm definitely more willing to report their game violations than a resident's.

paboxcall

Quote from: Bowhunter123224 on January 21, 2018, 08:51:15 PM
While I'm not going to tell them to go back home I'm also not going to help them, and I'm definitely more willing to report their game violations than a resident's.

My experience with out of state hunters is they typically don't need anyone's help filling tags. While there is always an exception to the case, out of state hunters who are NOT hunting with an outfitter are well educated having done their research long before buying a non-resident tag. Last thing anyone wants to do is violate a law and be from out of state - a lot of costs traveling back for a court hearing - so they play it cool, and they know law enforcement sees the out of state plates and are being watched. And they spend money on local food, fuel and lodging, so win/win. Just my  :z-twocents:

Border states with earlier seasons get hit harder the first week, so see a lot of guys crossing the state line to get a jump on the season. The out of state guys "hunting my birds" mentality is unfortunate. I like meeting new people, I'm not afraid to make them feel welcome on the public ground. And I hope that would be reciprocated when I travel. I've met a lot of good people from all over the place through turkey hunting.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

g8rvet

I hunt a 500,000 acre National Forest near my house. Still a lot of pressure during the opener, since the huntable land is targeted. But by mid season, I often do not see a soul.  I used to get out there on opening and fight the crowds, but now I stick to private for the first couple weekends.  I still hunt early on weekdays, or if we locate one of the beaten path.  But I am in North Florida, where the crowd is thinner. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

hambone50

I hunt 90% public in Georgia...to me scouting is the biggest key. it'll get you on birds and it can help you avoid pressure from other hunters. I have also run squirrel dogs on public lands since I was about 9 years old (I'm 31 now). Following dogs tends to get you well off the beaten paths and really helps me do some early scouting...im talking from November til the end of February. then my heavier scouting begins in early March.  I always have my little garmin etrex with me, and if I  see a spot with good sign, i'll mark it while the dogs are working.

Georgia public land pressure is hit or miss. some areas get hammered and some not as much. I have yet to see another person in the woods in the two other states that I've hunted....but that'll probably change this year as i'll be giving Florida a try for the first time.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: CtRider on January 16, 2018, 05:16:29 PM
How do you guys feel about out of staters hunting your public lands?

It can get frustrating to get to a spot and another truck, nevermind a truck with out of state plates. On one hand I think it's great and on the other a piece of me says "go hunt your own birds"

Finishing up my Slam in March. Not sure how I could be upset at out of staters when I am one frequently.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

ilbucksndux

I only hunt on public land here and last year was the only time I had a hard time getting away from other hunters. It seemed like they handed out maps to my favorite spots. These are places I have hunted for years and never ran into another hunter.
Gary Bartlow

mspaci

I hun NY & Ct public & very rarely see hunters