OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Top turkey books  (Read 7868 times)

Offline ddturkeyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Top turkey books
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:27:18 AM »
Was looking to buy REMEMBERING THE GREATS by Jim Casade from Amazon but out of stock. Any Ideas who else might be selling this book? Any other good suggestion on good books, finally have a little time to read again. 

Offline Drthorn

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Top turkey books
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:36:35 AM »
Based on Recommendations on here, these are the books that I have picked up and really enjoy

Bad Birds-- J Spencer
The Truth According to Cuz--Cuz Strickland
Tenth Legion--T Kelly
Turkey Hunting: A One Man Game--K Morgan (currently reading)

Online Ranger

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »
Personally think Col. Kelly's Tenth Legion and Ken Morgan's One Man Game are two of the finest ever made, never read the Casada book but want it bad and indeed it's hard to find.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
Call Jim if you can get one its from him also great guy to talk to.

Offline Dukejb

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »
http://jimcasadaoutdoors.com

This is Jim Casada’s website. You can buy his books plus a massive selection of others directly from him. I’ve bought a couple from him, and he is very quick and a pleasure to buy from.

Offline tree-rat sniper

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 05:11:05 PM »
A couple of years ago I found an old copy of Turkey Hunter's Digest by Dwain Bland at the local used book store. Not sure of when it was originally printed, no dates on the copywrite...Last year I found the same book, only a revised edition (1986).  Both are an excellent read with lots of old-school tips & techniques. I have around 15 turkey hunting books & many of them regurgitate the same "how-to" material. I would throw anything Ray Eye writes into the "keeper" pile.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 05:28:56 PM »
A couple more good ones are The wild turkey and its hunting by E.A McIlhenny.....The American wild turkey by Henry Edward Davis.....The Old Pro turkey hunter by Gene Nunnery...I have around 200 or so turkey hunting books another one of my obsessive behaviors. Lol..

Offline tree-rat sniper

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 05:39:42 PM »
200?  Wow, I didn't know there were that many in print!  I've got some catching up to do. :D
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
For what I thought was good reading.. Kenny Morgan's-America, wild turkeys and Mongrol dogs book. It was pretty decent.

Offline rifleman

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 05:51:59 PM »
Right now can't remember the author but I enjoy Illuminations in the Flatwoods.

Offline KYFrid

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 07:27:52 PM »
I read and collect them as well. Just ordered a signed copy of "East of the Slash". Hope to one day own a copy of Tall Timber Gabriels. I'll echo what others have said Morgan, Eye, Nunnery, Kelly are all good ones to have.

Offline hambone50

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 07:32:01 PM »
I really learned a lot about turkey behavior from Illumination in the Flatwoods by Joe Hutto...so much so that I had to go back and read it again....caught things the 2nd time that didn't dawn on me after the first read.  good stuff.

Offline Bennett

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 07:32:58 PM »
Tall Timber Gabriels is a great book. Turkey Hunting Spring and Fall by Doug Camp is another of my favorites

Offline ddturkeyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 07:33:40 PM »
Thanks for Jims website, and all the other suggestions, now I just have to get ordering. This should keep me busy reading for a while, thanks everyone.

Offline ElkTurkMan

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »
The old Pro Turkey Hunter by Gene Nunnery is my absolute favorite I treasure my copy and read it every spring. Another Good read is Herb Mclure's book Native Turkeys and a GA mountain turkeyhunter.